Part 15

We walked out of the house and Benny smirked at me, I blushed. He laughed. "What?" Ms. Roodriguez asked. "Nada Mama," Benny said. She just looked at me and rose her eyebrow smiling. We sat next to one another in the back. "Y/n," he said. "Yeah?" I answered. "Nothing," he said as he laughed and looked at the window. I pushed him playfully.

We got to the store and Benny's parents picked a bed out for me. My mom sold the other one for money for herself. But I did still have my sheets and stuff. We went home and Mr. Rodriguez assembled the bed. "Thank you," I said. He just nodded and walked away. I was putting my sheets and blanket on my bed when benny came up to me, "Want help?" he asked. "If you stop laughing at me, sure," I said. "Whatever y/n," he said. We set the bed up and headed out to the sandlot.

We were almost to the sandlot when I grabbed his arm. "What?" he asked. "Don't tell anyone about what happened earlier," I said. "What happened?" he asked smiling. "You know what happened," I said. He took my hand and we ran to the field. We were the only ones there. "Let's start practicing," Benny said. "Okay," I said and I got a ball. We were playing catch when everyone started walking in. "How come you weren't here practicing?" Benny asked. "We decided to sleep in." Squints said. "Yeah-yeah, I was tired, Benny," Yeah-yeah said. "Well, you're here now so let's go," I said. I threw the ball to Denunez and went to the left position.

Benny hit it out and I caught it. I threw it to Bertram, he threw it to Denunez, who threw it to Ham. "Good catch!" Ham yelled to me. "Thanks!" I yelled back. Scotty looked at me then looked away. Does he think it's all my fault that any of this happened? Why is he only being mean to me? Whatever. I just stood there and I completely zoned out. There were so many things on my mind right now. Bob is in jail, Mom left us, Scotty is mad at me, Benny might like me! I will deal with one thing at a time. Tomorrow I'm going to talk to Scotty. I still need to think about Benny though. We are just best friends, right? Or is there something more?

I kind of just stood there the whole game. I couldn't get Benny off my mind. I thought my crush was over but I think I am starting to feel things again.