Chapter six- The End of Life as They Know It

DISCLAIMER: PHANTOM OF THE OPERA ISN'T MINE! AND PAIGE BELONGS TO PAIGE XD THEIR ROMANCE, HOWEVER, IS IN MY HANDS ALONE!!!!! MUHAHA!!!!!!! enjoy :)

Weeks went by and the operas at the Populaire went on uninterrupted. Not a single note from the Phantom had arrived at the manager’s doorstep and Raoul was still living, breathing, and with Christine most of the time. Since Raoul was the one who had requested it, Christine was placed in the spotlight more and more often. The managers decided to throw a Masquerade ball to celebrate the opera’s success, everyone was invited. The cast of the Populaire spent all their free time planning and trying to find what to wear.

“Paige, come shopping with us!” Christine said one afternoon after rehearsal.

“I don’t think I’m going to go.” Paige said.

“Nonsense! Of course you are!” Meg said “And I know the perfect place to find outfits!”

And that was how Paige found herself in the most popular dress store in all of Paris. Christine and Meg found their dresses almost instantly, but Paige was taking a bit longer. “I can’t find one I like!” Paige cried.

Christine, who was admiring her light pink dress in a mirror, asked “Well what do you want your costume to be?”

“I don’t know, but I’m not wearing pink!” Paige insisted.

“Didn’t you tell me once that you’re favorite color combination was black and purple?” Meg called from farther back in the store.

“Yes, why?” Paige called back.

“Come here and look!”

Christine and Paige looked at each other and walked back to wear Meg was standing. When they saw what she was pointing to, they both gasped in awe. “That… that’s the prettiest dress I’ve ever seen!” Paige said. The dress was truly a sight to behold. It was floor-length and sleeveless, the top was black with black feathers coming up from the purple ribbon that wrapped around the middle. There were purple and silver gems in the shape of flowers on the front right side of the ribbon. The skirt part of the dress was purple silk with a black veil-type material over it.

The whole effect was stunning and the three girls stood gaping at it for so long that the shop-keeper had to come over and ask if they were okay. “We are fine, how much does this dress cost?” Meg asked.

“2,000 francs.” The shop-keeper said, her mouth forming a tight line.

“2,000?!” Paige exclaimed. The shop-keeper nodded and then walked away before any of them could protest. “I guess I won’t be going after all…” Paige said unhappily. They walked back to the Populaire in unhappy silence.

The day before the Masque, everyone was buzzing with excitement. Paige tried to ignore them, but it was almost impossible. After rehearsal she walked back to the dorms so she could collapse on the bed, but she found something in the way. Two things actually, both wrapped with black paper and tied with silver ribbon. A letter lay on top of the display, written neatly with black ink. The letter read: