Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"Okay, try explaining to me again, exactly what happened."

No one could speak with more venom than Hades in the moment that Lea and I had informed him what had happened to the demon. Now we all had gathered in the throne room, including Niki, who was there probably in hopes of helping placate Hades, who glared at Lea and I as if it were our fault that the demon had decided to take flight.

"We already told you," I said heatedly, fed up with that accusing glare, "Lea and I were just talking and getting ready to leave when that thing lit up like a goddamn Christmas tree and disappeared. I'm willing to bet that Atlan gave up on his search for us and summoned the demon, which, by the way, will probably very happily lead Atlan right back to us." Hades scoffed at the mere suggestion and shook his head.

"Your father isn't stupid enough to come barging in here." He assured. Lea arched a brow, putting her hands on her hips.

"If he has the Demon of Destruction, why would he be fearful of breaking and entering?" She asked. Hades paused at that, cocking his head slowly before he perked back up, shaking his head.

"Nope. Not possible. Only the demon can get in and out of the barrier around my realm." He answered, making Lea frown skeptically.

"Even so, that's not a good risk," Dorean spoke up, making me look at him as he frowned at us, "What? Don't look at me like that. I can have opinions on this too. We need to find the demon and take it away from Atlan."

"How do we do that? It's the Demon of Destruction for a reason." Lea reminded grimly.

"Everything has a weakness." Dorean answered.

"And this one's is Atlan," Hades interjected, leaning his weight onto one foot and raking a hand through his hair, "I don't have a fully developed way to get the demon to stop obeying him, not yet. There has to be a way we can at least drain him enough to drag him back here and let me finish a couple tests to confirm a theory I have." Lea and I shared looks. I opened my mouth to ask him exactly what that theory was when the air around us rippled and sizzled with white hot power, causing everyone to stiffen. Hades's eyes widened and he whirled around just as the air snapped and a column of white smoke appeared to reveal Hermes.

And he looked awful.

His curly blonde hair was matted with blood near a gash in his temple, bright sky blue eyes flashing frantically. His lip was busted and he had a myriad of wounds marking his arms and neck, where a prominent puncture wound was visible. His brown leather armored suit was caked in blood and his trembling hand still gripped a sword.

"We need your help." Hermes managed, almost falling to his knees. To my surprise, Hades caught him before he could face-plant on the floor. Hades lowered him to the floor carefully as Hermes wheezed, blood oozing past his lips.

"What's going on?" I demanded.

"I have a strong feeling it has to do with our demon." Hades muttered to me. Hermes's eyes darkened at the mention of the demon as he gasped for breath.

"Yes. If that's what you want to call it. I call it a fucking shitstorm on legs," He seethed in agony, tilting his head back as Hades made sure he didn't choke on his own blood while Hades placed his hands on his chest and began to heal the damage, "It came out of nowhere. It just started ripping things apart. One minute the waters of Olympus are crystal clear and singing with naiads and the next they ran red with their blood. The creature is like a fucking bulldozer. He's already plowed through most of our foot-soldiers. The gods are struggling to keep them at bay. Even Zeus is wounded. He was the one who managed to get me out of the creature's path and send me to get you."