[Chapter 12: Into the Multiverse]

(A.N. I feel so unbelievably empty)
💚

"No."

"What!?" Ink exclaimed, looking back and forth between Dream and (N/N). "Why not? It'll literally just be a trip there and back again—"

"How do you know that?" (N/N) snapped, crossing their arms tightly. "How do you know if we're all not just going to die out there? Nox is dangerous and will stop at nothing to kill us. Especially Dream, who is basically a walking target at this point."

You scooted closer to him, and (N/N) rolled their eyes. "And not only that, (Y/N)'s getting a free target painted straight onto their back because of him. Congrats. When's the wedding?"

"(N/N), listen. Please," Dream sighed as he shook his head and put a fist in his hand. "I promise you that this will be worth it. If we fail, we fail. If we win... we could save the entire multiverse."

"I don't give a damn about the multiverse," your doppelgänger muttered, showing the first sign of something other than irritation. "I give a damn about my home. Which is gone, by the way."

That caught you off guard. "Wha...What happened? How?"

(N/N) clenched their fists. "Nox happened."

Not Nightmare. Nox. If it wasn't obvious before, you could see that (N/N) was harbouring feelings for the fallen prince. Dream squeezed your hand and you squeezed back. Then he asked softly, "Would saving the universe be something that Chara and your parents would've wanted you to do?"

Silence. Then, (N/N) sighed and pulled on their hood. "Fine. I'll do it." You sighed with relief, letting go of his hand. "Let's just get this over with," they grumbled.

:):

Hugging your body, you swallowed hard as Dream explained, "I'm going to send the two of you into the multiverse first. Hopefully, Nox hasn't caught on yet and won't intercept us. You two will scout out the territory, but if you need help then send up a flare."

"A flare?" You asked, your hands fidgeting with the sheets.

Dream nodded firmly. "A distress signal if you run into anyone bad. You can only fire off one each, and it will take at least a fourth of your HP so use it carefully."

(N/N) nodded with a groan. "Well, I guess you can't just constantly cry for help (Y/N)."

You shot them a glare and they glared back. "I'm not just going to be crying for help," you whispered quietly. "I'm going to fight."

To your surprise, (N/N) grinned. "That's more like it."

Dream came to the side of your bed, taking your hand in his. "If we come back—When we come back, and all of this is over with, I... I have something that I want to ask you."

You tilted your head. "Why not now?"

The guardian shook his head, giving you a smile and washing you over with comforting feelings. "Because we don't have enough time. I'll be joining you soon enough, but I have some... preparations that I need to make. Good luck."

He gave you a kiss, sweet and gentle and full of warmth. You blushed and kissed him back. You could practically feel (N/N) rolling their eyes, but you didn't really care. The kiss felt like it lasted hours, but it really only lasted for a few seconds before you broke away. "Thanks," you sighed as you lay down, "We'll need all the luck we can muster."