[13] In This Light

A/N: ayy bet you weren't expecting this.

So in a broadcast which I'm pretty sure nobody read, I mentioned that I was leaving this as a short story. There's only going to be one more chapter and an epilogue, and I'm hoping to have it finished before the end of the year. That means that this story will become my top priority until that time.

I hope you're all okay with me cutting the story short! I honestly like it better this way, because otherwise I'd feel like it would be dragging on too long.

Enjoy!

_______________________________

Much like the residence of her aunt, Eleanora's sister's flat was located in an upmarket area of town. It was brick, decorated with arched windows and a shiny black door. Due to the cold, my breath puffed out as grey mist while I peered up at the building, eyes wide.

            Eleanora approached the door with ease, kneeling down and searching under the doormat for a key without any delay, acting as if she’d done this a million times before. Once unlocked, she gestured towards the open doorway, inviting me inside. With careful steps I entered, beginning to peel off my jacket at the new found warmth.

            “I will warn you, last time I came it was a bit of a mess.” she said as she ascended a set of long, carpeted stairs at the end of the hallway we’d entered.

            “Bit like your aunt’s flat?” I joked, remembering the magazine papers, the junk food wrappers.

            “Not as bad.” she promised, turning back towards me with a knowing smile “And it’s mostly clothes this time. My sister’s a bit of a hoarder when it comes to fashion. Honestly, the stuff she keeps is ridiculous.”  

            I couldn’t help but notice a difference between her and her sister. While her sister seemed quite materialistic, using her family’s fortune to her advantage by purchasing a mass of clothes she’d never wear, Eleanora was simple; just a few sundresses and a gold bangle around her wrist.

            After a second flight of stairs which took us to the third floor, Eleanora unlocked another door which led to a room which met her description precisely. Clothes. Everywhere.

            “Wow,” I breathed, finding it hard to find a place to sit through all the piles of fabric darted about the room. “You were right.”

            “Oh, this isn’t even half of it. Lucille bought most of it with her when she left for Croatia. We actually had to ship another suitcase that week, there was so much stuff.”

            Noticing my need for a seat, she began moving some of the clothes off the bed and placing them on the floor, creating space. I thanked her and plonked myself down, my weight causing a noticeable dip in the mattress. I began pulling my Chelsea boots off my feet, having grown tired  of wearing them all day, and she simply watched with crossed arms, as if contemplating what to do next.

            “Wanna go to bed?” she asked eventually, stifling a yawn.

            “Yeah.” I nodded, running a tired hand through my hair.

            She bent over and foraged through one of the many piles of clothing scattered about the floor, before returning with what looked to be suitable pyjamas for the night.

            “Be right back,” she told me, giving me a smile while heading towards what I presumed to be a bathroom.

            “Hey, wait,” I said suddenly, extended an arm out to grab her wrist, halting her movements.