[2] Running

A/N: SURPRISE BITCH. I BET YOU THOUGHT YOU'D SEEN THE LAST OF ME

(yes I totally just bought back an old tumblr joke which you probably despise of)

dedicated to aibohpocsareg for the cover on the side. I'm tossing up between that one, the one I'm currenly using and a few others for the cover and i seriously can't decide. no joke.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

I rounded the corner to be faced with a dimly lit alley way. It wasn’t particularly dirty, but exceedingly narrow. I spotted the girl manoeuvring her way through, prominently closer to the alley’s exit than to me. I had to turn my body sideways to fit the tight space, while she was able to glide through effortlessly.

            I grazed my knee against a brick, leaving a stinging sensation to linger. It stalled me for a few moments, which turned out to be costly. While I was peering down at my knee to make sure that my jeans hadn’t been ripped and that no blood had been drawn, she’d managed to fade out of sight once again.

            “Hey, wait up!” I called, even though I was fairly certain she couldn’t hear me. And judging by her desire to stay away from me, if she had of it would be safe to say that my plea would’ve been ignored.

            As I ventured closer through the alleyway a familiar scent wafted through my nose. The sea. I paused, now realising that I could hear waves crashing to the shore; a sound which had previously been masked by panting and frantic footsteps. I stepped out of the alleyway and it occurred to me that I was standing by the esplanade.

            I looked left and right, but I appeared to be the only other figure in sight. I could see the marina and the famous Brighton Pier just a few feet ahead, but no other beings. I dropped my shoulders and looked down, letting out one final breath. So that was it? She was gone until the next show.

            Or maybe I’d scared her off. Maybe she didn’t want to be followed.

            It was as if I was reading a mystery novel, pages away from the chapter where all is revealed, only to have my dog take it off me and rip it up.

            I walked further down the lifeless street, deciding a more thorough search would be best before I finally lost all hope. I was desperately trying to piece together all the ripped up pages. If the other boys were here, they would’ve given up by now. Said that there was nothing we could do so we best head home. I couldn’t be convinced so easily. I hopped over the fence and landed on the beach. I picked up a stone and skipped it along the water. I sat myself down and rested my arms over my knees, holding myself together and wishing I had a jacket to shield me from the harsh wind that was causing my curls to fly in all different directions. And then I saw something.

            It wasn’t exactly a figure, at first; just a small movement. It was by the marina car park. A shape poking out of the side of a lone car. I stood up immediately, forgetting the cold breeze entirely. It was hard to move quickly when with every step my foot was buried deep into the sand, but I managed to hastily get up close to the mysterious four wheel drive.

            “Who’s there?” I asked, and suddenly I felt as if I was in horror film.

            But it couldn’t have been anybody else but her. She couldn’t have just vanished into thin air, could she? She had to be somewhere in the area. But then again, she was a fast runner. I tiptoed to the left, deciding to surprise her from behind. I crept by the dark tinted windows and made my way around the boot until I was on the same side as her.