Chapter Eight ~ Seeing Red

Chapter Eight

Seeing Red

    The world seemedlighter.  Somehow winter had slipped away, settling into a fresh new world of spring, snow melting away like it had never existed and early flowers pushing up through the moist soil and stretching their petals towards the sun. It was a day like this when Rose found herself tucked away in a distant corner of the library, comfortably leaning against Scorpius Malfoy’s chest.

“What do you think it would be like to be a bird?” Rose asked, eyes following the sunlit patterns on the library ceilings. They were sitting in a rounded window seat; the tall windows letting the sunlight soak them in golden rays.

“Freeing,” replied Scorpius, twisting a lock of her hair around his finger “To have hollow bones and wings…the feathers I could live without.”

“I don’t know,” she sighed, arching her neck to see him better “I think there’s something about feathers that might be nice…sort of mysterious and beautiful.”

 Grinning mischievously, Scorpius leaned down to brush his lips against hers “You could make feathers very sexy, love.”

Giggling (something rare for Rose) she reached a hand up to knot her hands in his hair as their kiss deepened; it was moments like this that Rose didn’t regret anything about getting back together with Scorpius. He hadn’t left her, and somehow that was all Rose needed to regain confidence in him-forgiveness had come so easily, like their sun soaked kisses and stolen moments, hours of sitting together, Rose doodling his face in her sketchbook.

“Excuse me, but I need to discuss something with my sister.” An annoyed voice said, interrupting them.

Pulling apart, Scorpius shrugged and shot a smile Hugo Weasley’s way; the boy was still suspicious of his intentions and didn’t fully trust him, and nothing Scorpius did could change his mind. Hugo was very protective of Rose, and loved his big sister more than anything; she had always protected him, but now it was his turn.

“No problem Hue,” said Scorpius as Rose sat up; he gave her a peck on the lips before gathering his things “See you at supper?”

“Yeah,” still smiling dreamily, Rose watched him go, looking even better than usual in his tight fitted long sleeved grey shirt and jeans; something was just so perfect about the way he walked, or how his blonde fringe was constantly falling in his eyes.

“You look like an idiot.” Hugo said, sliding into the round booth and sat opposite his sister. He wasn’t smiling, and looked very grumpy and annoyed.

Snapping out of her dreamlike haze, a frown tugged at Rose’s lips “What’s up grumpy pants?” she asked, fixing her hair and tidying her books.

“Nothing.” Mumbled Hugo, crossing his arms and looking away like he used to as a little kid.

“Don’t nothing me mister, I’m you big sister.”

Letting out a frustrated sigh, Hugo still wouldn’t look at her “Exactly! You’re my big sister, not-not Scorpius Malfoy’s toy!”