Chapter 6

(Seina's POV)
On Monday I arrived at the host club to find they had some kind of tropical theme going on. Everyone was dressed in exotic looking costumes which seemed designed to show unnecessary amounts of skin.
Kaoru had tears in his eyes and Hikaru's hands cupped his chin. I tried not to picture my Sunday with him, even as my cheeks grew warm and I felt a small pang of jealousy. I cursed myself for being absurd.
Then I spotted Haruhi talking to Ootori off to one side and headed in their direction. Ootori was explaining how he tricked Tamaki-senpai into adopting the current theme. Haruhi was muttering to herself about him being the 'shadow king', I couldn't help but agree.
'Oh hi Seina.' She greeted, noticing me standing there. 'Are you ok? Your cheeks look all red?'
I shook my head violently. 'No! I mean I'm fine. Uh...it's just hot in here...that's all.' She glanced at the twins and shot me a sympathetic look before heading towards her guests.
Which left me alone with Ootori. 'You are a piece of work you know? Why manipulate Tamaki-senpai? Why not just talk to him like a normal human being?'
He looked bemused. 'I thought I was being rather generous, allowing Tamaki to believe absolute authority is his.' I laughed, amused by his arrogance and straightforward attitude. 'I can't help noticing I'm still alive.'
'Yes well perhaps I should approach Nekozawa-senpai about a refund.' This time he was the one to laugh. He actually looked fairly handsome when he smiled.
I went to leave but he called me back, 'Kamei-san, you are welcome to take a seat at a table. You are not required to hide away in that room.' I was about to protest but my reputation was already damaged, people already knew that I'd been hanging out here.
'Really?' I asked suspiciously, 'And what would that cost me?'
'Nothing. Mori-senpai, Honey-senpai and Kaoru-kun have all given generous bribes to allow you full access to the club.'
I stared at him in disbelief, once again reminded of why I despised him so. 'Return their money to them. I can pay for myself. My family is wealthier than all of yours. Remember Ootori?'
He raised an eyebrow. 'Very well but I don't want your money Kamei-san.' I mimicked his facial expression.
'Oh yeah? What do you want Ootori?' For a second he looked angry then the cool facade was in place again.
'My name is Kyoya.'
'And?'
'That is how you will address me.' I considered this deal as I tried to understand what he was getting from it. Eventually I shrugged my shoulders and stuck my hand out to shake.
'Ok Kyoya-senpai you have a deal. But naturally I am still Kamei-san to you.'
He smiled smugly. 'Of course, Seina-san.' I glared at him but decided not to pursue the argument.
I looked around the room and wondered if I could actually stomach sitting with any of my friends. Haruhi seemed like a good option but she was, at that moment,  nose to nose with Kanako Kasugazaki, a girl I believed to be engaged. Apparently not happily so.
I shot a quick look at Kaoru but quickly looked away when I made eye contact.
Tamaki-senpai was staring in horror at the scene unfolding between Haruhi and her guest.
Honey-senpai was chatting animatedly to his guests in between mouthfuls of cake, Mori-senpai occasionally made a monosyllabic addition to the conversation.
So seeing as my friends were busy I settled down into the empty chair next to Kyoya-senpai. He looked at me, mouth slightly open in surprise and what appeared to be the subtlest blush on his cheeks. I smirked at him and he quickly composed himself and sat down across from me. I leaned towards him across the table and smiled sweetly.
'I am beautiful aren't I?'.
His previous expression was quick to return to his face before he too leaned towards me with an evil smile. 'I know Kaoru thinks so.'
I flinched back horrified. Did he know about Sunday? But he wasn't done.
'I wonder if your soon to be betrothed will agree?' With that final blow he left the table to speak to some actual customers.
Haruhi was right, he was indeed the shadow king.

The next day Tamaki-senpai was alternating between worked up and sulky. Apparently Haruhi had 'stolen' one of his customers.
I was busy writing an essay and trying desperately not to be distracted by Kaoru who was trying very hard to distract me. Every move he made seemed to lead to him 'accidentally' brushing his hand or arm against mine, or tapping my feet under the table. Haruhi was in the middle of trying to evade participation in the host club's upcoming dance when I could finally take it no more. I put my book and pen down on the table and jumped to my feet.
'Kaoru.' I hissed with an innocent smile, 'Can I talk to you for a minute please?'
He followed me wordlessly into one of the rooms adjoining the club room. He was grinning at me but I folded my arms unimpressed. 'Kaoru this has to stop.'
He pulled me to him by my waist and kissed me softly. 'I don't want to stop.'
'It has to.'
'Does it?' I frowned as he kissed me again and but responded gently.
'It does Kaoru. I'm getting married.' I tried to ignore the nausea building in the pit of my stomach as I said the words out loud. I took a deep breath then hugged him tightly. 'You need to get over me Kaoru. Maybe in another life we could have played this out and had fun, but I can't be with you. I also can't accept my reality if I know I can run into your arms when things are hard.'
'I love you.'
'Please Kaoru. You don't.'
'I can't wait to dance with you.'
'We're both going to get hurt.' He cupped my face and kissed me one last time.
'One dance. Then I'll stop.'
'Can you?' He hesitated.
'I don't know but I'll try if that's what you want.'
Before either of us could say another word, Hikaru burst through the door. For a moment he just stood and stared at us wrapped up in each other's arms.
'So this is why you two have been sneaking around. What was it Seina? Mori-senpai not your type? Moved onto more handsome boys? Do I really mean so little to you that you would attempt to steal my brother right from under my nose? Well you're not as smart as you think you are Seina because I figured it out.'
My emotions flickered from one to the other, stunned silence, irritation and cold fury. He stormed out the door and without thinking I charged straight after him.
I caught up a couple of steps later and grabbed his wrist, yanking him round to face me.
'You Hikaru Hitachiin are a spoiled, selfish, childish little boy. Does it ever occur to you to think of anyone but yourself? Your feelings are clearly so important to you but what about ours? Did you ask Kaoru why he was down? Did you even notice? You said before that I had been avoiding you and it never occurred to you that there might be something going on in my life that was more important than your determination that you are a victim in all things. But I let that go. I have not nor am I going to steal Kaoru. You can keep your bloody brother because I couldn't have him even if I wanted to. My uncle is forcing me to marry and I have no say in the match whatsoever. I have to re-evaluate everything I ever thought or wanted in my life because everything is going to be different. You have freedom of choice, and lifestyle though god knows someone ought to control you. So don't you dare stand there and tell me what a hard life you have.'
I finished my rant, breathing heavily. I hadn't realised how angry I was at him. But all I could feel was shame and embarrassment. I had lost my composure, made a scene and revealed my big secret to the entire club.
They were all staring at me in surprise, stunned by my outburst, all except Kyoya-senpai who was scribbling away in his ever present black notebook. As the last of my anger faded I heard Haruhi call out my name.
'Seina...'
I faced the club and fixed my face into an apologetic smile. 'I am deeply sorry for the trouble I caused you all. I apologise for my outburst. I'm lucky really to have a family so concerned with my future. Thank you for your hospitality. I'm going home.' I bowed my head and walked out the club room.
I had to gain better control of my emotions. I'd been a mess recently.
I didn't get very far down the corridor when a small figure crashed into my back. I looked down to see Honey-senpai with his arms wrapped around my waist.
'Honey-senpai...I...'
'You can't run Sei-chan. Feelings don't make you weak and leaning on your friends when things are tough will make you stronger. Don't run.' I turned around to face my tiny friend who then hugged me again, tighter. It was then that I saw the rest of the host club standing there in the hallway.
Haruhi was the first to walk towards me. 'We'll support you Seina.' She then put her arm around me in a loose hug.
The twins looked at each other awkwardly and stepped towards me. Hikaru spoke first. 'Seina...I'm sorry.' He looked away and refused to meet my eyes. 'You were right about everything you said, I am spoiled and selfish and childish. I just...my world isn't very big...I thought I was going to lose two of the most important people I have in my life. I don't want to lose you. Forgive me. Please. Can we still be friends?'
I smiled just a little, the anger gone. 'Sure.'
Then I turned to Kaoru who was running a hand through his hair looking distinctly uncomfortable.
'Seina...I'm sorry. I know this is mainly my fault. I should have paid more attention and realised you don't...yeah...and I'm sorry I kept pressing you into situations...even though you told me no and you're getting married...I'm sorry.'
He then turned to Hikaru. 'I'm sorry I didn't tell you. Seina wanted to keep her engagement a secret till she could work it out. But I should have told you how I felt about her. I just knew you used to like her too and I didn't want to hurt your feelings.'
'Kaoru!' Hikaru cried out in embarrassment but I couldn't help noticing the phrase 'used to'. I looked at Haruhi who was stood next to me, oblivious to the significance of the conversation. The twins then put their arms around each other's shoulders, for once a genuine display of affection. They then came over and grabbed a hold of me, roughly rubbing my hair into a mess and squeezing me too tight. I laughed and generously returned the favour.
Tamaki-senpai then stepped forward and began a dramatic monologue, hand against his heart for emphasis. 'I just hate it when my little family is all broken up and fighting I'm so glad we're back together again!' I gave him a strange look.
'Since when am I part of your weird little family?'
He gave me a look that transcended his considerable naivety and somehow moved me. 'Does it matter Seina-san? Family is family. No one gets left behind or forgotten. No matter what happens you have us. You're one of us now Seina.'
I sighed. 'Ok. But I am not pretending to be a boy like Haruhi.' His expression was immediately transformed into one of child like excitement.
'Oh of course not! I am so excited! Now I have two little girls! You are going to be such a positive influence on Haruhi!' He hugged us both to his chest, crying with happiness. Since I was restrained the twins took the opportunity to begin prodding my face.
'One of us! One of us! One of us!' I gave them my most practiced death stare and they backed away.
Then Mori-senpai came over and patted my head with a gently smile. He then wrapped his arms around all of us, initiating a giant group hug.
Then I noticed Kyoya-senpai stood to one side, scribbling in his notebook. When he noticed my attention he simply pushed his glasses higher up his nose. It's not like I'd actually expected an apology from him. However, somehow it saddened me. As my friends pulled away and slowly headed back to the host club I walked over to him. He barely looked up, only narrowing his eyes slightly.
'I'm not apologising for anything.'
I looked up at him in amusement. 'I know, I wouldn't expect you to.' Then I leaned in and pressed a kiss to his cheek. He tried to cover his blush with a cool response but he failed.
'And may I ask what I did to deserve that?' I shrugged him off nonchalantly, bouncing on my heels.
'I just had a feeling that you were needing a little love.'
As I walked away I spared a glance back at him to see him still standing there a bewildered look on his face, tentatively touching the place I'd kissed him. For all his cold and calculating persona, he was just a big softie. I chuckled as I caught up with my friends, throwing my arms around the twins as I squeezed in between them.