Chapter 53

Chapter Fifty Three

"Even though I don't agree with your methods to get more details of the mystery attacker, I think it'd be best for us to do some digging into Liam's family."

And that's why Trace and I are riding in his truck on our way to the library.

It's after school so at least I'm not skipping again. We made the plan to do this last night when he called me to basically just say thanks for talking to Liam, even though he still thinks it was careless. But I guess I can't be mad at him for that. If someone were stalking my friend and she went and arranged a little chat then I'd be upset.

We pull up to the library and go inside.

The air is thicker in the world of books. Everyone is silent, I can hear the heat running. The room is, for the most part, empty except for a few college students catching up on homework.

"We'd like to use a computer, please." Trace whispers to the librarian. She nods eagerly and hands him a slip of paper containing a username.

He gives her a thankful smile before taking my hand and leading us to a computer at the back of the room. Away from everyone else we can be a little bit louder. We can't talk but at least now we won't have to mouth words to one another and whispering will suffice.

He takes a seat in front of the computer and quickly logs in. I roll a chair beside him, sit down in it.

His fingers type fast making clicking noises with every movement on the keyboard. We don't know Liams last name so we have to start with what we do know. The only thing we know for certain is his first name and the best age we can approximate.

We'll use his fathers death and the knowledge of a brother to try and lead us in the right direction.

Trace punches in his name with a roundabout age of eighteen. Thousands of people appear so he narrows it down by putting in the location of Tennessee.

That gets it down to only a few hundred; that's a good place to start.

"When do you think his dad passed?" Trace asks and I try to recall my memory.

Liam spoke about him with a dread and sadness. There wasn't much acceptance to his words, like he's still holding onto what was.

"If I had to guess I'd say recently. Within the last two years."

Trace types furiously into the keyboard, adding in the new data of: absent father.

It's amazing what the internet can do.

The list narrows down to only a limited few. With the rest of them we could just click on the profile to see a picture of the Liam and hope it matches the one we know.

The first picture we see is a blonde haired boy with a crooked smile. We keep looking.

The next one holds a boy with dark brown hair but his eyes are blue. We keep looking.

After going through a total of twenty photos, we finally find the right one. It's a picture of Liam with his dark hair and dark eyes. It was taken probably a year ago. He seems happier on the computer screen than I've ever seen him in person.

Trace clicks on his personal record and we begin reading the given facts.

It tells us his age set at eighteen years old. He has brown hair color with nut brown eyes. He's holding a whopping five foot nine inches tall.

Past his physical appearance we see family history. I skim through the paragraphs to find the sentences we're searching for.

His father isn't dead... he's in jail.