Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

It's been about a week since my run in with Cole and surprisingly, I'm no longer too concerned about it. I thought seeing him would bring back memories that I'd rather keep locked away. And it did, but in a good way.

Him showing up reminded me of how lucky I am to be surrounded by people who are genuinly concerned for me and care about me. There was a time when I truly believed I could trust him but he proved me wrong. I know better now.

Although he hurt me, I'm not afraid to make the same mistake twice. Pouting about being hurt in the past is only going to stop you from moving forward so I say screw it. Trust who you feel is worthy and love whoever the hell you want and if they end up hurting you then that was their mistake, not yours.

Maybe I'm being too 'optimistic', as Trace likes to refer to me as, but all I'm saying is if you sit around and feel sorry for yourself then your letting the person who caused your pain get the best of you and I refuse to be one of those girls who allows a guy control their world.

Last week Mr. Swon sent home a permission form for us to get signed. He planned a field trip his theater arts class to go on and even if it's boring, anything beats sitting in class.

We were supposed to all meet him in the school parking lot at 7:30 a.m. so we can load up the bus but we're still missing two students.

"Hey," I tell Ethan and he turns around and faces me.

Trace and Ethan are the only two people in this class that I talk to so I hope they love me because by the end of the day, they'll be sick of me.

"It's freezing out here." He tells me and I nod.

This morning I walked outside and almost crystalized. It was lucky I keep a spare coat in my car or else I'd be ice right now.

"Where's Trace?"

Before Ethan has the chance to answer, I feel an arm wrap around my shoulder and just from the woodsy scent I know who it is.

"I'm right here." he pulls me towards him and ruffles my hair, "Glad to know you care though."

I roll my eyes and push his arm off of me before combing my hair back down with my fingers. The two of them laugh as they discuss why Trace was late.

"The kids wouldn't get out of bed this morning so I fell behind on time."

Everyone is here now so Mr. Swon does a quick head count and we load up onto the bus.

"Where are you sitting man?" Ethan asks Trace.

He shakes his head, "I'm too muscular to share a seat. Just sit in front of me and Emma can sit across from us."

He's too muscular.

I roll my eyes at that comment without even meaning to. Rolling my eyes must just be becoming a habit. I do it so much around these people that it's like their mere presence just means for me to begin the eye rolls.

I take a seat in the one beside Trace and Ethan sits in front of him. My feet find their way to the seat and I lean back on the window so I can get comfortable enough to watch Netflix on the way.

Luckily, I remembered to bring my ear phones so I'm all set for episodes of Hannah Montana.

I laugh as Miley and her brother, Jackson, argue. My head rests gently on the seat and we pull out of the parking lot and onto the highway.

~*~*~*~*

"Excuse me miss, but you can't be on here."

I open my eyes to see a man I recognize as the bus driver staring down at me.