Chapter 9: Work

"We're doomed!" Fredrick Adam freaked out. His hands are shaking.

"What happened? Who was it?" Death Stone questioned making his way to Fredrick.

"The owner of the apartment! He raised the rent," Fredrick answered through clenched teeth.

"What the fuck?! By how much?" Death inquired.

"A thousand more!" Fredrick exclaimed.

"Nooo way! He can't do that," Death wined.

"Actually he can. He's the OWNER. You know what else he said? That bastard gave us two choices- to find another apartment and get lost or pay the money," Fredrick explained getting back to the sofa.

"We obviously can't find another apartment near the University," Death wined.

"So let's think of a way to keep our home" Frederick suggested grabbing a pillow.

"We should make money. We need a job and a roommate," Death stated sitting next to Fredrick.

"That would definitely help but the roommate thing... I don't know," Fredrick hesitated.

"It would be nice. Trust me, one more person can be a huge help," Death tried to convince him.

"Help in fucking with our privacy," Fredrick said squeezing the pillow.

"How about interviewing someone from campus? Someone in need?" Death proposed.

"W- we are going to inter- interview?" Fredrick burst out laughing.

"It will be fun," Death snatched the pillow out of Fredrick's grasp.

"So tell everyone you know to find us a job and a roommate. I'll do the same," Fredrick told him staring at the pillow.

"Problem solved! Now chill, bro," Death handed him some chips.

"Thanks," Fredrick said picking one. "The study-eat shit fucked us up. We're broke," he mentioned.

"Indeed but it worked." Death smiled. They did great on the exams. "Wanna do it again?"

"Of course. This time we'll do the cooking. Hiring a chef is expensive," Fredrick noted.

"Yeah. I can't deny that the dishes were awesome!" Death cheered.

"We'll learn how to make them. Fewer expenses, fewer worries. Easy," said Fredrick.

"Yeah yeah. Whatever." Death snorted.

   Death thought about contacting his aunt pacing back and forth in his room. "Fredrick is sleeping. It's really late but I need to talk to her," he said internally.

   He opened his phone, still undecided. He held his phone with his left hand and looked up at the ceiling. He let out a stressed sigh. "Hello?" a voice said. Death immediately looked around the room. There's no one there. "Death? Are you there?" The voice said again. He looked at his phone. "Fuck!" He freaked out and said "Joy? Hello?"

"Is everything alright? Are you okay?" Joy asked worriedly.

"I'm okay. Don't worry. Sorry to bother you at this hour," he apologized.

"Thank God. So what's up?" Joy questioned.

"Will you help me finding a job?" Death politely requested.

"Yeah sure. But why now? Do you need money?" Death kept quiet. "I can help you financially, you know. Eleanor is more than happy to assist you in anything too," she added.

"I don't want anyone's money. I just need a job," Death declined her offer. He's too proud to accept it.

"Alright. I'll look for one and let you know if I find anything. You're okay working in a hotel, right?" she asked.