Chapter Twenty-Five

"So go on and tell me what ya told my friends if ya think you're brave enough. And i'll show you what a real woman is, since you think you're hot stuff. You'll bite off more than you can chew if you get too cute or witty. Ya better move your feet if you dont' wanna eat a meal they call fist city"  Loretta Lynn 'Fist City'

“Yeah, I know them.” Jonah and Joe shared a look of shock and then looked back at the older man who was currently picking bacon out of his crooked teeth.

They had come into this little diner for breakfast and after finishing their meal, had decided to just show Scarlett and her husbands pictures around on the off chance that maybe someone would recognize them.

“You do?’ Jonah asked skeptically. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I’m sure.” the man replied with a nod. “That’s Scarlett and Harmon Kilgore. They got a home place up around Biggley Falls, way up in the Montana territory.”

“I thought their last name was Reign?” Joe asked and the man frowned.

“No, I’m pretty sure their name is Kilgore. I’ve spent some time with them now and then when I’m up that way. Nice folks. They travel a lot and aren’t home often but I saw them a while back and they were headin’ that way.”

“You saw them how long ago?” Jonah demanded, receiving a warning glance from Joe that told him to rein in his temper and excitement.

The man clicked his tongue and wiped some biscuit crumbs from the front of his blue chambray shirt. “Three weeks or a month I reckon.”

“Thank you, sir! Thank you so much!” Jonah said with a smile and the man’s frown deepened.

“Those look like wanted posters, just what did those two do?”

“Them there real nice folks are bank robbers that frame innocent men and have them murdered.” Joe replied with a nod, Jonah was already out the door in search of Bart and Reb. “Ya have a nice day now.” she added as the man stared at her in shock.

Joe quickly dashed out the door to find Jonah and was instead nearly run over by Penny as the woman came barreling up to her.

“He was the best thing that ever happened to me! How dare you steal him away!” she exclaimed, her blue eyes flashing with rage. Joe fought back laughter but a snort of it escaped as she put her hands on her hips and looked at the feisty woman all dressed in satin.

“I didn’t take nobody from nobody. Ya gave him up all on yer own there, Penny, and then, when you came a crawlin’ back, the man chose me.”

“I’ll have him yet… Just one more taste of me and he’ll forget all about you.” Penny assured her with a sniff.

“Is that so?” Joe asked as she felt her temper rising just a little. “Well get along then and take him from me. He’s comin’ this way now.”

Penny and Joe both looked toward Jonah who was coming their way with Bart and Reb. Jonah’s jaw was tight and his fists were clenched as he quickly closed the distance between them.

Penny took a step toward him but Joe got in her way. “I’ll warn ya though that he might be a bit tuckered out. I kept him up pretty late last night and he got me up bright an early this morning…. And it weren‘t for breakfast neither.”

“Penny, maybe I didn’t make myself clear yesterday.” Jonah ground out as he came to a stop and Penny practically ran to him.

“Jonah, please…. There is nothing better than you. Please, just give me a chance.”