Chapter Two

“You just don’t learn do ya?” Bart asked as he watched Jonah run a comb through his ear length dark blond hair.

“What the hell you talking about?” Jonah asked and Reb came to stand behind him.

“You just got done bein’ Penny’s Clown not too long ago and now you’re hunting for a new woman.”

“The only kind of women you need to worry about are the kind that you pay a bit of money to and they see to your needs. Foolin with any other kind is just asking for trouble!” Bart exclaimed.

“I ain’t foolin with her.” Jonah informed them with irritation. “I’m just getting a free dinner since I saved her virtue earlier today. It don’t mean nothing more than that. Just free food.”

Reb and Bart shared a look. With Jonah and women it was never that simple. Never had been, never would be.

Reb rolled his eye and stepped back.

“You know we’ve got your back, Jonah, but just remember that we warned you.”

“It’s just dinner, Reb. Just dinner.” Jonah stated a bit more patiently as he placed his worn brown leather hat on his head.

He kind of wished he owned fancier clothes or had the money to buy some seeing as how Scarlett seemed to be a high class lady and her brother no doubt was high class as well.

Oh well, he was a wandering, drifting ranch hand and they’d just have to accept him at dinner the way he was. Stained shirt, frayed vest, sweaty hat and all.

“Well you go ahead and have your dinner. Just make sure your pecker knows that‘s all it is.” Bart warned. Jonah just grunted and strode to the door. He grabbed his gun belt off the coat rack and strapped it silently around his hips before walking out the door and shutting it rather loudly behind him.

‘Penny’s Clown’ had been his nickname for a while and now apparently it was going to become ‘Anybody’s Clown’. It seemed even his closest friends had completely lost faith in his ability to handle relationships with women.

Jonah shook his head to clear his thoughts. He could handle his own pecker just fine and didn’t need their input or two cents about things. This was about a free dinner and nothing else.

Jonah was still telling himself that as he stepped into the diner and looked around the candle and lantern lit interior. It was six o’clock and darkness was already falling.

The diner was full since all the hotel patrons seemed to have chosen the same moment for their dinner.

Jonah wondered how he was going to find Scarlett and her brother in this swarm of people but then he heard a soft feminine voice calling his name.

“Mr. Winchester, I’m over here.” Jonah’s eyes turned toward the sound and his throat and mouth went dry.

If ever a raven haired beauty existed, Scarlett Reign was it. Her dark hair hung down her back, pulled away from her face by some sort of fancy braid. The flame light filling the room caused her long locks to sparkle and shine and her pale skin seemed to glow against the maroon dress she was wearing.

The dress was tight on top with long sleeves, hugging her delicate arms. Her full breasts were clearly outlined and the neckline of the dress awarded him a view of the smooth skin of her chest and a small line of cleavage before the dress hid the rest from his view.

She stood as he forced his boots to approach the table and he saw that the dress pulled away at her full hips and the skirt was long and full. The firelight shimmered off the soft fabric.