Chapter 13

“Have a good night, Julie,” Logan said as they stopped by her car.

“Thank you, Professor. I mean, Logan,” she smiled up at him. “And thank you for walking me to my car. It really wasn’t necessary.”

“I can’t have my star student loitering in an abandoned parking lot, now can I?” he joked.

Julie was thankful for the darkness as it covered her blush. “I’m hardly your star student, Prof… Logan,” she said bashfully.

“Don’t sell yourself short, Julie,” Logan said. “I see a lot of potential in you. Have you considered getting a degree in literature?”

“Oh… no, I… I don’t know what I want to do…”

“Well, if you like… I could get you some brochures and we could go over them after class sometime…”

“Um… sure,” Julie said and unlocked her car door. “See you next week.”

“Drive safe,” Logan said and waved goodbye, heading to his own car.

As Julie pulled out of the parking lot, she thought she saw a car following her and pushed down the gas pedal. As she turned into another street, though, it disappeared out of sight. She shook her head at her paranoia and continued on her way.

As she pulled up to the house and turned off the engine, Julie looked inside her bag to make sure the papers were still there. Jim had finished drafting her divorce papers and she was supposed to go through them and sign them if she agreed with the terms. She’d stuffed them in her bag and headed off to class, trying not to think about it.

When she signed those papers, her part would be done. Jim had assured her that Derek wasn’t going to contest the divorce. He’d apparently spoken to him – or his attorney – and the fact that Julie could have the hospital send her pictures to the police had seemed to make him more amenable to going through with the divorce.

She still hadn’t started looking for an apartment. Jason had ignored her over the past few days. Their only interaction was his notes on the kitchen table telling her there was food if she was hungry. He was still mad at her, and she couldn’t blame him. She must have sounded so ungrateful, telling him she couldn’t stay in his life once they were no longer legally family. With a heavy heart, Julie trudged into the dark house and up the stairs to her room.

-

“Wow, I’ve stayed too late again,” Julie said, checking her phone. “I’m sorry, Professor. I’m not keeping you from anything, I hope?”

“Please, call me Logan,” he reminded her. “And I enjoy talking to you, Julie.”

“Oh, please, I ask the stupidest questions,” Julie shook her head. “You must be so annoyed with me.”

“Far from it,” Logan chuckled. “And how will you learn without asking questions?” he shrugged.

“Still… I feel like I’m wasting your time…” Julie said, looking at the floor as she gathered her things.

“If anything, you’re making it more enjoyable,” Logan smiled and Julie looked up at him, blushing slightly. “Julie… I hope you don’t mind me asking… but I couldn’t help but notice that you haven’t been wearing your wedding ring for a couple of weeks now…”

Julie felt her jaw drop and her hands stilled on her bag’s zipper.

“I’m sorry,” Logan said quickly, putting his hands up. “I overstepped. None of my business. Got it.”

“No… it’s… I’m just… surprised you noticed,” Julie said, avoiding his gaze, focusing instead on her empty ring finger.

“Are you… separated, or…?” he asked tentatively.