Chapter 14

When Jason pulled up next to Julie’s car in the college parking lot, she turned to thank him and found him wearing a frown.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.                                                          

“I’m not sure,” Jason said and turned off the engine. “But it looks like…” he trailed off as he opened the door and stepped out to examine Julie’s car.

Julie unbuckled her seatbelt and slipped out of Jason’s car, walking around to see what was going on.

“The tires are slashed,” Jason said and Julie felt a frisson run through her.

“Maybe just kids,” she offered, but didn’t truly believe it.

Jason rounded the car and stopped dead in his tracks. “Let’s go,” he said to Julie. “I’ll drive you to work and have the garage tow your car.”

“Jason?” Julie frowned, taking a few steps forward to see the four-letter word written on her hood. “Oh, no…”

“Just get back in the car, Julie,” Jason commanded.

“No, I…”

“Get. In. The. Car,” he enunciated and she obeyed.

She hadn’t been able to tell if the writing had been done in red paint or in blood, and she didn’t really want to know. As she closed the door behind her, Julie could see Jason calling someone. A few minutes later, he climbed into the driver’s seat.

“Do you want me to take you home or do you feel up to working today?” he asked and started the car.

“I can’t skip work.”

“I’m sure Jim would understand. In fact, I guarantee it,” Jason said patiently.

“I want to go to work, Jason. I can’t sit in the house and…”

“Okay. Office it is,” Jason cut her off and pulled out of the parking lot.

-

“Flower delivery,” the young woman who just walked into the law office announced and Julie frowned. “For Jim?”

“No. Someone named Julie?” the woman read from her notepad.

“I’m Julie,” Julie said and signed for the delivery. The woman handed over a bouquet and when Julie unwrapped it, she gasped.

It was a bouquet of white carnations – something Julie had always associated with funerals – with a single red rose in the center. There was a card attached and Julie opened it with trembling hands. Inside were three letters, written in dark red.

R. I. P.

Julie threw the bouquet in the trashcan and hurried to the bathroom to empty the contents of her stomach. She crumbled on the bathroom floor, a sobbing mess, and a few minutes later, Jim knocked on the door.

“Julie? Are you all right? Do you want me to call Jason? Or Glory?”

Oh, what must he think of her now, Julie thought to herself. What employer would want an employee who couldn’t act professional on the job?

“I’m sorry,” she managed to get out. “I’ll be right out, Jim.”

“Take your time,” he said and she could hear his footsteps fading.

Once she’d composed herself, Julie headed out of the bathroom, determined to keep it together for the rest of the day. She could cry at home. But when she got to her desk, Jason was there, waiting for her.