[ 6 ] cataclysm

Zach

Not many good things had happened to me. Not many days were enjoyable for me. Not many nice memories to relish for later either. I didn't expect it at all, but today was a,really good day.

Mist may not be able to talk, but she is really nice in her own way. After recess, I had two classes with Lacey who kept giving me 'The Look' the whole time. She looked like the typical blonde bimbo, leaving the fact that her hairs pink towards the bottom. To think of it, that makes her look even more so generically blonde bimbo.

Recapping today, I don't feel it was such a bad idea to shift schools. I mean, so far, so good, and I sort of like it in this school. Melanie isn't too bad, Mist is sweet, and Gwendolyn and her gang, they're girls. I don't even know why I'm scared of them. It's embarrassing, really.

Driving alone helps me to hear my thoughts. Loud and clear. Even if I turn the radio on, my thoughts seem to overpower the stereo's volume. I guess being alone for a long time had that impact on me. Because now, my mind is literally the only friend I have. And that's bad. That's the peak height of how antisocial a person can get. But I do think I did fairly well in the socialising bit today.

The song playing on the radio changed. Justin Bieber's 'Love Yourself' starting playing and I absolutely hate that song. With passion.

I don't know why, I've never even dated anyone one to have a heartbreak and remember about them and be miserable or anything, but this song just gets me so angry and annoyed for no apparent reason, and I think it's strange, because when you listen to it, the song sounds so soothing. Maybe it's because I've lost everyone I've ever had and this song probably stirs my subconscious and all that jazz. To be honest, I don't even care.

Just then, I saw the outline of the familiar little place, I called home. I swerved left, and parked my car in the garage, swiping the car's door open, and rushed towards the door. When I opened it, the sight I paws greeted with was something I've never had the misfortune of seeing, since the past three years.

Liquor bottles were strewn all over the floor, Table broken, Chairs lying on the floor with a leg cut off, and Will, Mom and dad nowhere to be found. Horrible memories jabbed me like glass pieces, as I made my way across the hall to find Will. Whatever happens, he shouldn't be unlucky enough to see something like this. After looking around for a while, I find him in a corner, curled up like a ball, with tears in his eyes. I ran over to him and ask him what was going on, though I knew. I knew exactly what was going on. And I knew this would probably be the last time my father and mother would live under the same roof. I was sure of it.

"Z-Z-Zach-ch?" Will stammered.

"Tell me, Will," I said, brushing my fingers through his dark curly hair.

"M-m-mo-mommy is- d-dad-d i-is," he started crying uncontrollably. He had seen it. And at that moment, I also wanted to become a four year old and cry along with him. But I know I mustn't. I must comfort Will. I must be a good brother to him. Someone he can rely on. And if I cry, lord knows what might happen.

Whatever I tried saying to comfort him, he ignored it and cried even louder. At that point, I really didn't know what to do. Both my mom and dad were nowhere to be seen. I asked him where they were, and all he did was shake his head and pour streams of tears out of his eyes. This was getting hopeless and I decided to search for them myself, before something worse could happen. I went to the cellar first.

Whenever a scene like this happened before, I would end up finding Mom locked in the cellar and my father slurring nasty things outside the cellar, at her, drunk.

I slowly advanced to the cellar, careful not to hurt Will, and checked for Mom. But there was no one there.

Next, I decided to go to the bedroom, though I know that it's hardly a place where something of this sort happened. I walk in to find ...nothing. Again.

The only place I had in my mind was the backyard. Which was the most unlikely place of all, but still I decided to check it out.

I went to the kitchen and opened the door which led to the backyard, and sure enough, I find my mother on her knees, crying, and my father muttering and jeering terrible things at her.

"Don't....P-please," she whimpered through her tears.

That was the first time in three years I saw my father that drunk. He stopped, after mom almost divorced him the last time. Heaven knows why he did this today. Doesn't he even realise that we're his family? And not some vagabonds coming to live in his house?! Hell, it isn't even his. It's because of Mom we have such a nice house.

Suddenly I noticed something that my father was holding in his left hand. Something that looked like a rod. My mom sobbed uncontrollably, and I couldn't help but letting the tears I'd been holding back, come through. Both, my father and my mom heard it, and slowly turned to face me.

"ZACH-CH! G-GO! P-pl-lease! G-g-go. I'll han-handle this-s," She somehow managed to pull out, sobbing very hard.

I couldn't leave her here like this. Who knew what my father could do to her. He was so drunk that I doubt he could even feel any emotion. The alcohol was blinding him.

"Mom, I'm not-I'm not going anywhere without you. Come, let's go inside," I said, trying to soothe her. She is a very strong woman for one who has seen as much as she did.

"She isn't going anywhere. The only person who is going is you. Whatever happening here is nothing for you to care about," My father stated, pushing me out.

"MOM HURRY!" I yelled.

I never expected this to ever happen again. The last time was serious enough.

Before she could do anything, my father had already hit her with the rod and she fainted right on the spot on a pool of blood which was rapidly over flowing from her head. He drank another swig of wine and passed out beside. The scene in front of me, had me wanting to run back to my room, tie a noose to the ceiling fan, and hang myself to death.

I wasn't as horrified by this scene as I was three years back, but the reality in front of me was still terrifying, nonetheless. The only thing I could do now was call the ambulance and make sure that William doesn't see any of this. He's scarred enough, as it is, and I do not want him to be even more traumatised.

I go back to the hall, to find Will still crying, and grabbed my phone from my pocket, and quickly called the ambulance and tried my best to pass time, making Will believe it was all just a dream.