Chapter 12: I am now officially a wild child*

Zach's p.o.v

I finally reach the hospital sharp at ten. And this time I was careful to not daydream and take the Freeway.

I don't really know what to do if this sort of thing keeps happening. I'm not in freshmen year anymore. I'm a sophomore. And being one takes a lot of hard work. More over, I am a person who cares a heck lot about my grades. I don't really like missing school and especially not during these three years before university. I've always wanted to go to Harvard or Yale. But Family comes before ambition. I don't care even if I get an F as long as mom and Will are okay. Not dad though.

I always felt like dad was the odd one out in our family. Me, my mom and Will have this connection between us which doesn't really extend towards dad. It's not like I hate him, But he makes loving him as a father very,very difficult. It's not really easy to like a man even if he's your father when you see him hitting your mother frequently. Will, though, because of his innocence, does try to bond with dad, but it never works. Dad always shoos him away one or the other way. I think dad never really liked us. All three of us. He just married mom and didn't get a divorce with her because our grandmother is a very sweet lady and she'd get upset. Basically, the only person my dad doesn't want to upset is his mom.

Speaking about mom, I went inside the room she was supposed to be in, and luckily for me she wasn't awake.

I saw Lucas sitting by his dad and walked over to him. He didn't seem to notice me,so I tapped on his shoulders. He literally jumped up, off his chair and shot me a look of pure annoyance.

"Dude! What was that for? You nearly gave me a heart attack." He yelled.

"Sorry!"I said, not knowing what else to say. He seemed better than yesterday. At least he wasn't crying.

"Ugh, never mind. Don't you have school, today?" He asked, and stood up, picking his backpack up.

"I took a leave. Mum's not going to be discharged until tomorrow."

"Oh. I have to go. You know how strict the teachers are towards late comers. By the way, where do you live? I was thinking I could stop by your place now and then." He asked. That was a first. No one ever really visited my place other than Jake and Jo. In simpler words, I was a loner.

"Oh, um I live in the colony, south Phoenix. You know, the one for the people who work in government offices."

"Hold it. Let me get a paper" he said, grabbing a paper from his bag,"ok, continue."

"The Colony, south Phoenix."

"Really? I live there too! What's your house number?"

"That's cool. It's H22. Sector 5. What's yours?"

"Sector 3, B42. Ok then. Nice seeing you again, Zach. I really need to go now. Hope your mom gets better. See you around."

"Yeah. You too."

He started heading out of the door, but then, suddenly stopped and cheekily said,"you'll be seeing me around a lot, now."

I went back to my mom and realized she was awake.

"Mom, you're awake. How are you feeling now?" I ask.

"Better, you know. I could go back home, in fact. Zach, you really don't need to stay and wait for me. You can go to school. I'm feeling fine." She mumbled. Clearly, she wasn't feeling any better. Her eyes were surrounded by dark circles. She looked like she didn't have enough energy, to even lift her head up.

"Mom, you don't need to lie to me. I can very well see that you're not doing any better than yesterday. Sometimes, mom, you need to stop fighting and let it go. That's really the only way you can feel any better. You don't need to look so strong, mom. No one is that strong. I know for a fact, that dad has shattered you inside. You don't need to put on a brave face all the time. Maybe sometimes, you'd feel happier, or lighter without bottling it all in. Maybe, you should just have some alone time to think about it. Maybe, you should try to face what's coming and cry your heart out, instead of accumulating it all in. You know what, mom? I'm going to go out for a while, so that you can gather up your thoughts in your head. I feel you need some time for yourself." I told her, softly.