Chapter 8

A chill runs up my spine as his words hang in the air. What did the black armored men want with Jakove? Did they want his power too?  If so, what did they plan to do with it?

"Listen," Jakove says in a hasty rush.   "I think it's time I put an end to this and stop running from my past".  He places his forehead against mine and tucks a lose strand of hair behind my ear.  "You deserve the world Zia, and I want to be the man that can give that to you".

Why did this simple statement give me such a liberating feeling?  I wanted him, despite everything.  I wanted him.  No truer words had been said.

"I'm going to turn myself in, and once I do I want you to make a run for it.  I promise I wont be gone for long, and I will explain everything when I get back".

Tears pool up in my eyes. "You don't have to be a hero" I say pleading with him. 

Jakove chuckles humorlessly. "I will never be a hero, not even close" he says "but maybe I can try to be a better person".

Panic fills my chest.  No!  Don't go.  Just stay with me.  We can figure this out together. 

Jakove slowly touches my face with gentle hands and caresses my cheek. "You won't even have time to miss me" he says.

He quickly places his lips on mine and allows all his love to pour into me.  This was his final goodbye, but I wasn't ready to let him leave.  How did I know I would ever see him again?

I latch my hands into his shirt, unwilling to let go. "How will you know where to find me?"

"Oh, I have my ways" Jakove replies with a wink.

Irritation bubbles up in my chest.  This is no time for games Jakove!  Just give me a damn answer.

He gives me one last "Jakove smile".  That same smile that I had grown so fondly of.  Even in our final moments together I think he wanted to reassure me that it was going to be alright.

Jakove tears my hands out of his shirt, and sprints away from me, with athletic like speed. The silhouette of his body retreats into a clearing within the tree line, cuing his surrender. The black armored men instantly swarm Jakove, and pin him to the ground.   He makes a grunt as three of the men place their knees on his back.  It was over kill. 

I muffle a scream.  There was no need to be doing that!  He had submitted himself to you!

From behind me a snap of branch, kicks my body kicks into gear.  I had to remember the plan.  I had to get out of here.

I fly up, and I begin sprinting in the opposite direction of Jakove.  My feet pound the ground as I run with all my might.  Although I was weak, I somehow had the strength to run through the sparse trees, like an agile marathon runner. 

Up in the distance I see a fallen tree, with a rotted-out middle.  This was my chance.  If I could make it there and slip in the middle without being noticed I had a chance of escaping.

Before I could make it any further something grabs ahold of my hair and yanks me down to the damp ground. My head throbs from the sudden impact, and my whole body lay lifeless. 

There are voices off in the background, speaking in hushed whispers.  More branches snap around me, indicating a person is right by me, watching my every move. My breathing is shallow, and I don't dare open my eyes.  I'm scared.  Scared beyond belief.

With great force someone grabs my forearm, and my shoulder makes a loud popping sound from this jolting attack.  My eyes fly wide open, and I am met face to face with a pale faced stranger.  His face illuminated by the moon light, and a wicked smile creeps across his face.