Chapter 2

I hurry over to my dad and try to wake him up. He startles awake, confusion evident on his face.

"You need to get up" I say, struggling to get the words out. "Some government appointed officials are here. They must be doing their routine check up on us."

"If they see you haven't been working..." I continue on, unable to finish my sentence.

He looks at me now understanding the severity of the situation.

"We can hide you somewhere?" I say in a panic, trying to frantically think of different solutions. "Maybe we can hide you outside in the outhouse? Or how about somewhere in the woods until they leave?"

My father gives me a stern look. "Zia" he says, "I think we need to face this problem head on. The problem isn't going to go away if we just run from it. We have known it was going to come to this for a while now, so we might as well just get it over with. Besides, all these government pigs are after is money. If we keep our cool and give them what they want, they should leave us alone."

He says the words with such certainty; I didn't have any choice but to believe it.

"So, what do we do then? Just wait for them to come to us?"

"Precisely" he says with a smirk.

I didn't know what he was planning, but it seemed like he had something up his sleeve. I didn't understand how he was able to keep his cool in a situation like this. I was freaking out and was overwhelmed.

I put my back against the wall and sit there with my knees pulled up to my chest. I had never been a patient person and waiting here like prey caught in a trap was not doing me any favors to ease my mind. My dad kept looking through the window and updating me every so often on any changes that were happening in the outside world.

After a while it seemed like it was going to be okay. Dawn was approaching, making it the darkest part of the night. I look out the window and made notes of any changes for myself. Out in the distance there was a faint light that seemed to be fading away. Maybe they were leaving?

I slide back down onto the ground. "Are we in the clear?" I ask. There was uncertainty in my voice, but I didn't have the energy to cover it.

My dad was quiet for a long time "I think so, but I think we need to stay quiet for a little longer" he finally says.

We sat there for what felt like an eternity; slowly counting the minutes as they passed by. We see the first traces of sunlight shining through the windows, indicating a new day.

With the new day upon us it felt as though the previous night was just a bad dream. All the worrying felt like it was for nothing. I stand up, stretching my body in various directions. The night's stress still lingering in my tense muscles, but otherwise I was okay.

No. No. We were okay.

I look out the window, just to confirm that we were in the clear, and also just to appreciate that I had made it another day. I needed to soak up the sun and shake away the memories of strangely perfect men and government intruders. I stager towards the window and put my hands on the splintered wood of the frame. I focus my vision and try to make out the shapes in the morning light, through the cracked old glass.

For some reason the morning made everything seem peaceful and untouched as people slept soundly in their beds. The morning sun gave the environment a wonderous and almost mystical feel as the light sparkled off of the morning dew. Everyone was sleeping soundly in their beds and the world felt quiet. We had escaped, but for how long?

My eyes burn as the sleepless night finally catches up with me. I needed a nap, and my shift at the diner was starting soon. I give my dad the "I am dead ass tired" look from across the room, and I knew he was also ready for a long-awaited nap too.