Chapter 3

The sun was beating down on me, making it oddly hot when I awoke. I was surprised that it was still light out, considering how tired I was. I begin to scan the area for Jakove, but he was nowhere to be found. Maybe he decided to take off after all?

Carefully I pull my body up, testing my legs and feet, making sure they were stable enough to stand on. It was time to get moving again. I slowly begin to make my way over to my stuff, before I realized it was gone. That bastard stole my stuff!

I was fuming, I couldn't believe it. No, no, actually I could. That would be exactly how my luck would end up. Last time you trust a strangely attractive boy, with mystery tattoos, and a killer smile I thought laughing out loud, annoyed with myself.

As I stood there, I hear the cracking of leaves and branches behind me. Someone was approaching my camp, and they were approaching my camp fast. Without thinking about it, I grab the nearest stick that could be used as a weapon and turn around fully ready to fight.  Before I could make any sudden movements, I realize it is Jakove.

"What are you doing?" he asks confused as he approaches me.

Relief floods through me.  

"Well, you scared me" I say trying to explain myself "and I was preparing to fight".  I quickly try to dispose of my stick before he can ask any more questions.

"That's what you look like when you're about ready to fight someone?" He asks still equally as confused as before.

"I mean, I guess?" Now I am beginning to feel self-conscious.

"Oh" he finally says, not saying anything else.

I decided I needed to change the subject before he hurt my pride anymore, which reminded me about my previous concern.

"Where is my stuff? I should probably get going."

"Where are you going?" he asks, ignoring my question.

"I'm still figuring it out". I say annoyed.

"That's not very good hiking skills ya know? Actually, I don't really think that's very good life skills in general. Do I need to follow behind you and make sure you don't pass out again?"

I couldn't tell if he was joking or being serious. Either way his ability to talk without a filter was getting on my last damn nerve.

"First of all," I say through clenched teeth. "My hiking skills and general life skills are none of your damn business. Second of all, where is my stuff"! I was so annoyed at him. How could the charming boy he was just a few short hours ago, be this arrogant asshole now?

"Whoa, just take it easy." He says with his hands up, as if he was surrendering. "I don't know where all this hostility is coming from?"

Incredible, just incredible. I could feel myself eye rolling myself into the next dimension with how stupid this conversation was.

I pinch the bridge of my nose annoyed. "Jakove, I just want my stuff."

"Fine" he says defeated. He disappears from my field of vison, and quickly returns with my leather backpack in hand. "My lady" he says handing it to me with that infectious smile on his face.

I take it slowly from his hands. "What were you doing with it anyways?" Irritation still evident in my voice.

"I was just giving you a little extra food, water, and few other essential things. It looked like you might need it." He throws his hands up, replying innocently.

I wasn't used to people taking care of me, and this small gesture was enough to make my heart throb with sadness. I knew in a few short minutes I was preparing to walk away from Jakove, and continue my journey. I didn't know why but I felt saddened by the thought.