Chapter Eight

"I have a friend for you to meet," Sebastian said.

Although, if he was being honest with himself, he wasn't quite sure if Griffin was his friend or his acquaintance. Before Charlotte had arrived, they had met up a few times to chat. But after his lock down, he hadn't been back to see him.

Charlotte gasped. "I didn't know you had friends," she teased him, holding onto his arm. He could only imagine her touch, because it was blocked by the suit. "I'm jesting. What's his name?" she asked.

"Griff," he answered. "And he's going to help us with the horse carriage."

Charlotte's eyes lit up at the mention of a carriage. "A carriage? I've yet to ride one," she admitted.

"Then today is your lucky day," Sebastian softly smiled at her. Then he turned to face the stables and entered, knocking on the wall to give Griffin a heads up. Or, perhaps, a wake up call.

"Hey Griff? Are you here?" he called out, peering around.

"Sebastian? Is that you?" Griffin's voice came from further in. Finally, the boy made his appearance. A friendly grin greeted them.

Contrary to the first few meetings, Griffin had been more at ease with Sebastian in the later one. However, Charlotte's presence seemed to throw him off. Sebastian watched Griffin take a long look at Charlotte, with his brown eyes widening and his face reddening.

"Uh, hi," Griffin squeaked at Charlotte.

A kind and sweet smile appeared on her face. "You must be Griffin," she started. "Although that's all I know because Sebastian hasn't told me much about you."

Griffin looked stunned into silence. The poor boy needed to work on his people skills. Or perhaps he developed a small crush on Charlotte.

"This is the woman I've told you about, Charlotte," Sebastian introduced her to him.

"Pleasure to meet you," Griffin stammered. Charlotte brightened.

"You're adorable," she cooed. "I can't believe Sebastian hid you from me."

To save Griffin from further embarrassment and stress, Sebastian interrupted them by asking a question. "So, Griff, you have everything ready right?"

Griffin looked relieved at his intervention and the chance to escape further into the stables. "Yes, let me escort the horses out and link them to the cart."

Sebastian and Charlotte stepped outside and watched Griffin bring out the horses and set everything up. The driver showed up as well, organizing a few things. When he was done, they set their belongings inside the carriage.

"Thank you Griffin," Charlotte said at the same time that Sebastian said, "Thanks, Griff."

They gave each other a look before smiling and then waving goodbye to Griffin. Charlotte stepped inside the carriage first, her head turning from side to side in order to observe the interior. Sebastian quickly followed after, closing the door behind them.

The interior was very plushy and comfortable, which was good news for the two and a half hour journey to Kaiden's castle. Sebastian had been inside a carriage before so the experience was not new. For Charlotte, however, it was something special. Her excitement seemed to light up the atmosphere.

"You seem happy," he noted, grabbing her attention.

"I am," she confirmed. "Today is going to be filled with joy and happiness," she added, referring to the wedding.

"Don't forget about love," Sebastian winked at her. Charlotte's eye twinkled, as if an idea came to her.

"How could I?" Charlotte asked, scooting closer to him to a point where she was almost on his lap.