Chapter One

Chapter one.

Amongst the Dusty Old Books

"Mo, don't forget to lock up the store before you come upstairs, okay?" My eyes peeled themselves away from the pages of the book and to my grandmother's tired stare. I nod. "And don't forget to bring the sign inside too, you forgot that last time."

"Yes Gran, don't worry gran, I'll make sure to do everything properly this time. I'll even be up for tea at six."

"That my girl," she tiredly smiles at me before she turns and starts to move her way up the stair case, my eyes watching her with caution so in case she fell I could possibly catch her if it is needed. Once she is out of my I turned back to my book  before finishing the page and slid a book mark in between the ink stained pages.

Hopping off of my stool I moved around the counter and grabbed hold of the trolley, only to pause and have my eyes scan through around to see if anyone was around. A smile tugs onto my lips as my hands let go of the cold handle and I walked besides the trolley, only to give it a beckon with my finger to follow me, and it did.

Humming softly to myself I moved down the isles, taking the books from the trolley that followed behind me obediently as I pushed thin and thick books into their new homes. Tucking two books under my arm I grabbed a hold of the small ladder and climbed on top of it.

After I completed stocking the shelves I opened the trolley and allowed it venture back into the storeroom before I closed the door and walked to the front of the store. Walking out into the street I grabbed hold of the sign and folded the legs together before I turn, only to pause and stare at a small crowd of children and parents.

Curiosity won me over and I leaned the sign against the bookstore door and I walked over, my hands laced together, behind my back as I slowly weaved my way to the front of the crowd to find a small little magic act by a street performer. I watched him shuffle the cards a few times, but the excitement of the crowd went flat when we all saw him slip a card from him sleeve.

Frowning I raised my hand slightly until his eye caught mine. "Can I show you my magic trick?" He pauses before looking at the crowd, who was quickly melting away.

"Fine, whatever kid."

Smiling I stepped forwards and took the cards from his large hand and stood in front of the crowd, shuffling the cards around as I slowly breathed and tried to concentrate. Wind pushes against me lightly, trying to make my brown hair dance and even ruffel my green skirt as I continued to shuffle the cards.

"Ma'am, can you pick a card for me?" I asked innocently, holding the cards out to a woman who reached forward, just to amuse me I think, she takes one and I tell her to put it back. She did so and I went back to shuffling, earning an impatient cough from the street magician behind me.

"Ma'am, is this your card?"

I held out the Queen of Hearts, making her nod. "Hmm, I thought so. It seems to really like you, can you hold your hand out for it?"

She gave me a weird look before hesitantly holding her hand out. Reaching forward with the deck of cards I grabbed her hand and laid it flat before I scrunched up the card, earning an 'Hey!' from the street performer before I blew on my hand and placed my balled up hand on her palm.

Slowly my fingers loosened and I removed my hand, leaving a red and black butterfly, making her gasp in shock. Everyone went quiet as the butterflies wings slowly twitched before they fluttered and it took off, everyone looks up and watches it leave as a smile comes upon my face.

"I think he liked you."

"How did you do that?"

"Oh, a magician never tells his secret."