~Δεκαπέντε

"Sorry," Zeus said, a smirk tugging on his lips, "are we late for the gala?"

"Calantha, come along," my mother said, holding out her hand.

I whipped my head behind me, but four more gods blocked our exit. Hades followed my gaze and yanked me to him. I grabbed onto his arm, my heart pounding, as they moved closer.

"Zeus, what are you doing?" Hades growled.

"Brother, need I remind you of the conversation we had some nine months ago? I warned you to stay away from my daughter, and you did not heed my words. Because of it, I have gathered the Olympians."

"Zeus, I ask you politely to get the hell out of my castle."

"Hand over the girl or expect there to be bloodshed."

"I think not," a separate voice chimed in.

"Who said that?" Zeus demanded.

Thanatos stepped into view—with ten other gods. I recognized Charon and Hekate, but the others I didn't know. "I'm sorry, Your Majesty, but I'm afraid that we can't let you take over our homes."

"This doesn't have to be violent," Zeus said, his eyes flicking over their four extra heads. "Hades, all you have to do is give us Calantha."

"No," I blurted, shocking myself. I stopped for a second; what am I doing? "I-I won't go with you, mother. I'm finally happy. I won't let you take this away from me, too."

"Calantha, he's clearly poisoning your thinking! He kidnapped you, and you want to stay with him?"

"I want to stay with him because he is the best husband anyone could ask for in any day or age!"

"And there's a bit of a flaw in your thinking," Hekate joined in. "Calantha ate some pomegranate seeds without Hades' permission. Her soul now belongs to the Underworld."

Fear flashed in my mother's eyes. "What-what does that mean?"

"It means nothing!" Zeus spat. "They're just trying to scare you! That notion is a myth—nothing more!"

"I—"

"Now, I see you've chosen for spilled blood, then," Zeus continued. He signaled, and the gods drew their weapons.

Oh, Lord, they're actually going to fight over me! The atmosphere in the room darkened as the tension skyrocketed.

"Wait," I yelled. "Wait! I-I will make a deal with you."

"What are you doing?" Hades hissed in my ear, reinforcing his grip.

"I can't let you lose your homes over me." I met Zeus' gaze, mine filling with tears. "I will go willingly with you if you will grant me one more night with Hades."

"Calantha! What—?" Hekate cried.

"It's the right thing to do," I said, my voice wobbling. "I don't want you guys to get hurt over me."

"I accept your terms," Zeus said, a sly grin forming on his face.

"What?" Demeter screeched. "No!"

"Demeter, she can have one more measly night with Hades." Zeus signaled once more, and the gods relaxed, the tensions cooling in the air. One by one, they filed out of the room. "I'll see you in the morning."

I watched him turn his back and leave, my mother trailing behind him.

Hekate rushed forward, pulling me into a hug. "You crazy girl," she said, tears in her voice. "What the hell was that?"