~Δεκατρία

"After breakfast, Hekate wishes for you to see her," Hades spoke, putting a hand on my thigh and rubbing circles with his thumb. I guess that's what the letter in his hand says.

I put a hand on top of his. "Why? She saw me the other day at our wedding."

"I'm not sure, magnolia."

I nodded. "Oh, well. What time should I come back?"

"Return by lunchtime."

An hour later, I knocked on the door of Hekate's manor. Dilys' familiar face came into view. She smiled and curtsied. "Your Majesty, welcome. Hekate is waiting in her private parlor."

Oh, ew. I hate people calling me 'Your Majesty.' It sounds so... unlike me.

"Thanks, Dilys. Do you mind showing me where that is? I'm not completely sure of this place yet."

"It would be no problem, ma'am."

I cringed; there it was again—my title. Am I forty? Ma'am is so... matronly.

Dilys stepped back, allowing me inside the enchanting house. She moved through the maze of hallways and stopped at a particular door.

I walked into the room, spotting Hekate sitting on a window bench. She gazed out the enormous window. She had pushed it open, letting in the warm breeze. I learned that the snow at my wedding was a spell as the only season in the Underworld is summer. Hekate's head turned, and she beamed.

I moved into her outstretched arms. "Calantha, hello."

"Why did you ask to see me? Is there something wrong?"

"Not in the least. Tell me, has Hades taught you to teleport yet?"

I thought it over. I completely forgot I could do that! "No. It slipped my mind to ask."

"Good, I hoped to be the one to teach you."

Hekate linked arms with me, guiding me outside. Dilys accompanied us onto the lawn, a blanket in her arms. Dilys spread the blanket on the ground, and we all sat down.

"Before we start," Hekate began, "there are a few things that you need to know. One, you, being a beginner, will not go very far right off the bat. Don't try to push it because it will hurt, and the results might be dangerous. And two, teleporting takes a great deal of strength, so you'll need a way to gather it safely—otherwise, you'll drain yourself of energy."

I nodded, remember a month or so ago when I got a bloody nose and practically fainted.

"My go-to method of doing so is to meditate. Not only will it help you, but it's also very relaxing. Before we jump right in, I'll teach you how to meditate." She turned to Dilys. "Will you grab some water, please?"

"Of course, ma'am."

Hekate instructed me to get into a yoga pose called the Lotus. It's where you sit with your legs crossed and your feet on top of your thighs. And you rest your hands, palm up, on your feet.

"Okay, breathe in deeply through your nose and then out through your mouth."

We did that for a few minutes, breathing in and out. It was pretty soothing; it allowed me to let my stress go.

"Okay, are you relaxed?" Hekate asked. I nodded, still in a semi-trance. "Excellent. Now, in order to teleport, you must have a clear picture in your head of your desired place. Once you accomplish that, you will feel something trying to pull you. Allow that to happen. And, if you do everything correctly, you should have teleported."