~Éντεκα

I blew out the air in my lungs while smoothing down the lace of my gown. The seamstress did a fantastic job. The skirt is my favorite part—it was snowflake lace with a layer of georgette that had tiny crystals dotting it. My gown shimmered like falling snow every time I moved.

These past two months flew by; now, in a couple of hours, I will be married.

Married.

Just a year ago, I thought it would never happen. Now, it was a breath away. The mere thought of marriage makes me giggle like an idiot.

"Do not get lost in your thoughts yet! We still have to do your makeup and hair!" Hekate's impatient voice broke me out of my mind. "Putting on the dress was only step one."

"Right. Sorry," I murmured. Hekate was one of the main persons to help me plan my wedding, and we became very close in time.

Dilys, Hekate's maid, led me to my vanity. Hekate wished to do my makeup while Sudie and Dilys did my hair. We agreed on a half-up, half-down design. They curled my hair and placed a diamond magnolia comb to secure the half-up part—a small bun made up of my side strands. Hekate did some hunting and found they made the comb in the 1960s—she declared it as my something old.

My something new is my bouquet. The gardeners picked the flowers fresh this morning. I selected magnolias, asphodels, and light pink daffodils. My something borrowed is a pair of simple, ivory pumps. Hekate lent them to me. And my something blue is on a lace handkerchief the seamstress gave me—she embroidered my name in blue thread.

"Do you like it?" Hekate spoke, putting on the final stroke of the eyeshadow brush. She did a spectacular job; she managed to highlight my eyes while making sure it looked natural.

I grinned. "It's excellent."

Sudie checked the clock. "We have half an hour, ma'am."

"Thank you, Sudie."

Sudie is my only bridesmaid because Hekate is my maid-of-honor. Sudie's dress was a deep purple with a halter neckline, and Hekate's is the same—except her dress has a layer of lace over the skirt. Hekate's bouquet had a magnolia in the center with asphodels around it; Sudie's bouquet had a magnolia, too, but pink lilies instead of asphodels.

Dilys left to join the audience, and the rest of us stayed back for a second. The sound of violin music drifted in from the other side of the garden's door. One by one, my best friends walked out to the alter.

I knew that I should be happy, but I couldn't stop thinking that my father can't walk me down the aisle.

I held back my tears—lest I ruin my makeup or give myself red and puffy eyes. Oh, God, not now!

"Now, why is the bride miserable, hmm?" a voice asked behind me—Charon.

I gave him a watery smile. "My father isn't here to walk me down the aisle. It's been a dream of mine since I was little."

"Don't worry; I am here to help!" he stuck his elbow out for me to take.

"You mean...?"

"Yes, I am going to accompany you."

"Thank you so much, Charon. You have no clue how much this means to me."

"It's my pleasure, Your Majesty." He winked.

With a deep breath, we pushed open the doors. I couldn't help but let an astonished gasp slip. It's snowing, and the white powder covered the pomegranate trees. It looks like a winter paradise! At the end of the aisle, a wooden altar stood. Cypress branches and asphodels snaked around the wood.