Chapter 1: Levana Montgomery

I awoke to the shrill ring of my phone.

I wanna see your peacock-cock-cock, your peacock. I wanna see—

I moan and fumble for the phone on my bedside. When I get it, I flip it open, knowing who it was before I even looked at the caller ID. I had told her not to change it but Liv doesn’t listen to anyone, least of all the Alpha’s daughter. But only since she hasn’t shifted yet.

“OMG OMG OMG!” Liv squeals. “Levy, you shifted! You’re a she-wolf now! I am so exited!” I roll out of bed—literally—and open up the curtains. The sun glares at me for a moment before hiding behind a winter cloud. I peer down to the field. It is—after all—noon on a Sunday.

“Really,” I said back, trying to not let the tiredness leak into my voice. “I hadn’t noticed.”

The kids were sledding down the hill, trying to see who could go the farthest and touch the Alpha’s house. My house.

The transformation, being my first, had left me tired and weak, and I had been carried to bed by my little brother Seth, around 11 PM. I had slept like the dead for 12 hours.

My ruse didn’t work—Liv, who hadn’t turned yet, but had the best nose in the pack, saw right through the act.

“How was it?” She asked gently. I sighed.

“To be honest it hurt like a bitch and I feel hungover. But when I was a wolf it was—“ I searched my mind for the right word. Deciding I couldn’t find one, I just said the one that she would understand. “—wow. Amazing. Afterwards—not so much. This is worse than Jimmy K’s birthday party.” We went to a human’s party once, had gotten smashed, and woke up with matching massive hangovers. That was not fun. But it did get the point across.

“Wow.” Liv said, her voice tinged with awe. “What does you wolf look like?”

“I don’t know. I’ll have to ask dad or Mitch or Seth. They were there.” I paused, looking out the window at a lone form walking to my front door. “Are you outside?”

“Hell yeah,” Liv replied. “My battery was almost dead and I had more questions, but I did want to see you Levy.”

“OK,” I said, giving a long suffering sigh.

“Bye babe.” Click.

Right on cue, the doorbell started to ring. I groaned. This was not helping my headache.

“I’ll get it!” Seth yelled from the kitchen, his voice muffled, seeing as my room was on the 5th—and top—floor.

I smiled, knowing what was coming. I could imagine his face going red as he flung the door open, revealing Liv, who would jump on him, make out with him, and calmly walk up the stairs as though nothing had happened, leaving him dumbstruck.

It was sort of my fault. I had told Liv about his crush on her, and she invented this greeting. The best part was that no one besides me and her knew why.

I listened, my new wolf ears tuning into the sound of the usual, before jumping when Liv knocked on the door.  She walked in without invitation and through herself into my metal four-poster bed, and looked around. The walls were their usual grey and blue and the clothes were in my closet, also normal. But something was off.

“Why is your bathroom door open Levana?” Liv asked dangerously.

“I…don’t really…know.” I said slowly.

I pulled out a knife from my bedside table’s drawer and Liv pulled one from her boot. Together, we snuck to the door. Liv pushes open the door and I run in, looking for the intruder.

I step on a blanket and look down. I freeze, as does Liv.

“Liv,” I say, shocked. “Is it just me, or in there a baby in my sink?”