Chapter 10: Jett Connell

I wake up, the winter sun blazing bright from the window; I can see it through my eyelids. It’s a bit painful because it’s so intense, but I don’t move because of the position I’m in.

My eyes snap open as I remember what happened last night. Then I take in my position.

My head is pillowed by a soft but firm stomach. Its muscles weren’t a 6-pack or anything, but I was impressed. My right hand is rested lightly on her hip and my left is under her right leg, gently caressing her thigh. My right knee is raised up possessively, intertwined with her foot. Her small hand, with its slender, long fingers is resting on mine, and her other hand is resting lightly on my shaggy head.

Before I can properly enjoy this position, Rafe talks to me.

Good morning, Rafe says, emotionless. Sorry about last night, about the, uh, thing. I just—

Nah man, it’s cool. I respond.

I would have had to show you anyway. It’s part of the mission.

Ok, I thought-say. What effing mission. You keep talking about a mission and I want to know what it is!

I can only tell you when you’ve mated with her. I mentally huffed.

Levy waked up slowly, her eyelashes brushing her cheek. When she registers our position and that I’m awake, she jumps out of bed and leans against the far wall. I sit up in bed and groan. No meds, a ton of pain.

I reach out a hand towards her. “Come here,” she looks at my hand apprehensively and shakes her head. “We have to start mating at sometime, it’s part of the ‘mission’—“

Levy’s eyes fly up and a fire sparks within her. “We’re special Jett. We can’t just go around and mate whenever the fuck we want. There has to be a solstice or an equinox for that to happen. So newsflash, I’m gonna keep my boyfriend until March 21st. Today is January 14th. I have 9 weeks on the dot so you can take your ‘mating’ and shove it up your ass!”

I recoil, like her words have burned me. She continues. “Second of all, the twins. We—“

“You have to get pregnant,” I say in a flat voice. “So now what?”

“Not true. Tala has told me that you need to be a direct descendant of either the last reincarnations or of the original wolf blood. And you need Alpha blood in your veins to give birth to the twins. You also have to have Alpha blood to be a reincarnation. So technically the twins don’t have to be born from us. They just have to be descendants. We already have one of them—“

“What?” I say, shocked. Rafe was equally as shocked.

“I found Remus in my sink, the birth mother left him there. My Dad, Alpha Jem Montgomery, is a lawyer so, even though I’m 17, I’m Remus’ legal guardian. Their birth father has Romulus. Our first plan of action is to find out who Romulus and Remus’ birth parents are. Then we need to find Rome. Clear?” I nod. “You may be a great guy for all I know Jett,” she says slowly. “But I don’t know. I know I love Liam. So I’m going to stay with him as long as possible. Some mates don’t get that, and they hurt the other guy. I don’t want that to be us. Am I understood? You hurt Liam, or even talk to him about us being mates, you can tell Rafe to screw the mission. Clear?”

“That makes no sense,” I say, before I can control myself. I inwardly cure my lack of tact. She raises her eyebrows, a challenge.

“Oh really,” she says, hands on her hips. “Explain.” I scoot forward on the bed a bit and look her in the eyes.

“Killing the other man would just hurt your mate, right? So why do it at all? I mean your mate’s your other half; you’re built for each other. So I don’t think there’s a need if you’ve already found your mate. Before? It’s fine. After? I don’t get the point. I would never hurt the kid, but why keep him around?”

She purses her lips. “You seem well enough. My brother’s down the hall so ask him for a shirt,” Her eyes flick down to my bare chest and her lips flutter a bit as she bites her lip. “We’ll talk about the twins at breakfast.” I stand.

Before I can say anything else, she’s out the door and I’m left, broken and bruised, staring after her.

A small device by the door releases a sound like a yawn. I walk over and pick it up (a painful process), turning it over in my hands.

It’s a baby monitor.