☾hapter 6

☾☆♡

☾☆♡

As promised, I called Jonny when I arrived and rode the taxi to my house. He sounded relieved to know I was safe. The house was dark and quiet when I entered. My dad knew that I was coming home late so we decided we would see each other during breakfast. I settled into my old room and changed into my pajamas. It didn't take long for me to fall fast asleep.

In the morning, I woke up early to surprise my dad with breakfast. An egg white omelet and slices of rye toast were laid out onto the table. The coffee pot was brewing while I sliced up some red apples.

"Sabina! I didn't hear you come in last night," Madelyn exclaimed in surprise, entering the kitchen.

Looking over my shoulder, my smile grew when Madelyn immediately barged to hug me. "I hope the travel wasn't too bad late at night."

I let go of her and grinned happily, "I didn't want to wake you guys up. Plus, traveling late gives me more legroom."

"I'm so happy you're here. Your father has been expecting you."

Looking down with regret, I felt bad for not coming home sooner. "I know. It had been busy at the café."

Technically, it was true. The fact that something happened between Jonny and I had me overthink many things, forgetting more pressing issues than my love life. I was being a terrible daughter.

"You know your father doesn't expect you to work, right? Your uncle Carter is willing to help until you graduate," She softly nagged.

The mere mention of my uncle sent a cold shiver down my spine. I never really wanted to talk about him. With a burst of nervous laughter, I responded. "I know that, Mads. I want to buy things for myself. Wouldn't want him to spend money on my clothes and stuff."

"You're right," she laughed with me, oblivious to what I was struggling internally. "Anyway, it seems that you're done with breakfast. I'll get your father."

Madelyn quickly ran out of the kitchen entryway. Exhaling deeply, the memories quickly flashed before my eyes, reminding me one of the reasons why I don't come home as much. I quickly grabbed a glass, filling it with cold water. The thirst became unbearable as I chugged the water down.

Breaking down right now should have been the least of my worries. I took a seat, trying to calm myself down. It didn't take long for my dad to be wheeled into the dining room with a huge smile on his face.

"Sabina, my child." My dad extended his arms with difficulty just to welcome me in his embrace. I held him extra tighter for a few more seconds and his familiar scent finally reminded me of home.

Madelyn guided his wheelchair to the spot where he usually eats at the table. I sat across from him and quickly filled his plate with his breakfast. The dark thoughts that lingered immediately dissipated when my dad happily chatted away about what I missed throughout the months I had been away. He made it all seem interesting. In reality, I knew he was struggling, but he just didn't want me to worry.

After breakfast, I told Madelyn to have the week off. She had been staying with us ever since the incident, dedicating her line of work to help my dad out. There was hesitance when I told her I could handle things for the week. It wasn't an easy task, but she deserved a break.

I valued spending more time with my dad now I was home for the week. My phone was somewhere in my room, avoiding calls from work or rather from a certain guy that plagued my mind most of the time.

It was a few days after that my dad and I were out in the backyard, basking in the sun with our freshly squeezed cucumber and lemon juice. We were catching up on about my life in college when I heard the doorbell rang. I walked to the door and peeped to the hole. The blood on my face drained as Uncle Carter stood outside our door.

My knees almost buckled as my arm numbly reached for the door handle. I took a deep-rooted breath and opened the door to see my uncle smiling brightly at me.

"Hey, there my little peach or should I say lady peach? I haven't seen you in a while, Sabina." He gave me a scrutinizing once over. The malicious smile wasn't leaving his face.

"What do you want?" I asked with hostility. He never made me feel safe. After learning about sexual harassment in middle school, I finally realized what he had done to me was wrong and disgusting. My naïve self was thankful that I didn't let get things too far.

"Ahh, you don't get to talk to me like that," he warned, waving his finger at me.

With that simple warning, I kept my mouth shut. He entered the house without further permission. It was wise at this point not to anger him further. I didn't want to find out what he was capable of.

"Where's your father?" he asked.

"Out in the backyard," I replied in a clipped tone.

He walked out the back and greeted my father with a different smile. It was more genuine than the one he gave me. Dad looked happy to see his step-brother. I didn't know he frequented Portland. After observing them out, my dad looked at my way and waved for me to come out.

I took deliberate steps before reaching the backyard. My dad was all smiles when I came out. "Sabina, your uncle might want that refreshing cooler you made. We need to discuss something work-related. You can stay or maybe want to take a walk outside. Come back in time for dinner. We'll just order something."

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" I asked for assurance.

He playfully shooed me away, "Of course. Now, go!"

Walking back into the house, I gave my uncle a glass of the juice I made. He thanked me. Then, I quickly ran out of the house and took the chance for a walk. The air suddenly felt thin whenever he was around.

This place was only a reminder of how my life was before I left for New York. It was burdened by lies and misfortunes. I didn't feel bitter about it anymore. The past couldn't be altered. The feeling would always linger until a certain instance triggered a resurfacing memory.

The sun was almost down. I had been walking around for a few hours, letting my mind get through some things. Before I headed back, I had gone ahead and bought some veggie burritos that I've been wanting to try for dinner. When I got back, the house was dark. There was a noise coming from the living room.

"Dad?" I called out as I turned on the lights.

"In here," he yelled back.

I walked into the living room and saw him alone, "Where's uncle Carter?"

"He still had a dinner meeting. He should be back a little later."

"H-he's staying over?"

"Just for tonight. He's leaving early tomorrow."

"Oh... okay."

The dread came back in full force. I was definitely locking my doors tonight.

"You alright there?" My dad asked in concern.

I just chuckled nervously, "Yeah! I brought veggie burritos on the way back. Would you like to have dinner now?"

The night was thankfully uneventful. I fell asleep before my uncle could come home. When I woke up, he was already long gone. He had left a note thanking us for the stay.

My dad and I were having a peaceful breakfast. The thought of my uncle visiting didn't sit well with me. I had to ask.

"Dad? Why did uncle Carter come to visit yesterday?"

My dad looked flustered. He looked like he was guilty of something.

"Well? Aren't you going to tell me?" I prodded.

"We just talked."

Yep, he was keeping something from me.

"If you just talked, then why do you look guilty?"

"I may have agreed to work for him."

"You, what?"

He sighed and began to explain, "Sabina, being stuck here with my disability right now could make a man go crazy at some point. I need something to do. Earn a little extra for my medication and your needs. I don't want to keep accepting help from Carter. Plus, I'll be working from home. It won't be stressing myself out that much."

I could understand where he was coming from, but the sudden dark thought of losing him scared me.

"Don't leave me, dad." I blurted out without thinking. A few tears already fell from my eyes. Coming home made me emotional, I hated it.

My dad wheeled himself closer. He put a hand on my face to wipe off those traitorous tears. "What has gotten into you? I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. I still need to marry you off to some gentleman," he joked.

I snorted, "You'll be waiting for a very long time."

"Exactly," he chuckled. "Now, eat the rest of your breakfast."

I extended my arms and gave him a tight hug. "I love you, dad."

"Forever, my Sabina."

☾☆♡

it's difficult to keep an update schedule, sorry :c