☾hapter 10

☾☆♡

☾☆♡

It was too early in the morning when Beck pulled off my blanket away. The sudden movement made me jolt in surprise.

I groaned in annoyance, "Beck! Seriously!"

"Don't give me that sour attitude, sweetheart. It's not my fault someone came in back so late in the night. I wonder who you were with..." she playfully rolled her eyes at me. A knowing smile was dancing on her lips.

"It's not what you think," I defended.

She playfully threw the comforter back to my face. "Let's talk about it on the way to school. You better get ready."

Without a fight, I did one last stretch and hauled my ass to the bathroom. The adjustment period will take me weeks before I get used to this kind of morning routine. The only reason I took morning classes was so I could work in the afternoon. I loved that shift. I had made friends with the regulars, and I couldn't wait to see more of them now that school was starting.

Fall mornings were always a good mood booster. The weather was not too hot, not too cold. It was just enough for me to enjoy wearing a sweatshirt while sipping on a cold brew.

Beck and I headed off to university, hitching a ride on her scooter. It was a short drive but we needed to get our coffees first. Besides working at Earth and Brew, I also have another favorite café that makes the best cold brew. It was something Beck and I shared every time we had morning classes. We never told Jonny about it. The owner was nice to us though, but still a direct competitor.

After getting our orders, we walked all the way to our building. Our first class would start in twenty minutes. We still had time to finish our drinks.

"I can't believe summer is over. I didn't even get the chance to spend the last few days with you," Beck mumbled.

"Oh, please. You've been partying hard without me —" I playfully jabbed her on the arm and solemnly added, "And you know, I missed my dad."

She sighed, "I get it. I sacrificed my summer, so I can visit my family during the holidays this year."

"With the amount of workload we'll be getting this semester, it'll be Christmas in no time," I laughed and clinked my iced coffee cup to hers.

It was going to be different without having Jonny in any of my classes this year. He trusted me with this big responsibility, and I didn't mind at all. I actually needed the extra pay.

We walked up the steps, entering the building with all the students rushing to get to their classes. Beck and I were minding our own business until an arm coiled around my neck, tugging me closer. His scent was all too familiar - soft and powdery. It was none of that manly musk smell that every woman would crave of a man. I wasn't sure if it was because of his detergent or he just liked scents that don't overwhelm the senses. Whatever it was, I liked it on him. It brought me comfort and cheer to be around him.