Chapter 1

I was sitting at the big marble island in our large 1920's styled kitchen that was in the basement. My parents never actually used it. I did though (note: I love baking, especially brownies), along with the world class chefs. Next to me was Leo who worked in the gardens. I always thought that he looked like Leo DiCaprio but he shot it down every time I brought it up. Leo was a few years older than me, but don't get any ideas. This isn't a story of some scandalous affair between a princess and garden boy. We were like brother and sister and we've been that way our entire lives. I could tell him anything and know that it was safe with him. He was my only normal friend seeing as I was private tutored in the palace.

So today was  my sixteenth birthday and there was going to be a grand ball later tonight to celebrate. However, right now I was all but grand looking. My hair was in a scruffy bun from sleeping in it. I had a tank top on with pyjama shorts that I had slept in and to top it all off, my bunny slippers. But me looking like this didn't change anything, I was still the girliest princess worldwide. I may look like the living dead but who cares. It's not like Leo hasn't seen me like this before.

After a few moments of silence, I felt like I was about to pass out from lack of sleep. Falling asleep at half one in the morning and waking up at half seven is not an easy thing to do. But hey, a princess has to do what she has to do, right. So I felt horrible, that is until Leo jumped up, scaring the shit out of me, and told me to follow him.

I did and had to switch out my slippers for my famed heeled pink wellies. It seemed every time I wore these out in public, the tabloids had pictures. Weird. Anyways, I opened my giant, and I mean giant, tartan umbrella and ran across the lawns behind him. Oh what a sight this must be for the other gardeners.

Leo pulled me into my garden that was in a decent sized greenhouse and covered my eyes after I put down my umbrella.

"Keep your eyes closed so I can lead you." He said as he removed his hands and took mine in his.

He led me for a moment before dropping my hands and telling me to open my eyes. I let out a small screech and covered my mouth with both hands as it erupted into a huge smile. I was stood in front of a cute little topiary that read 'NICELY'. It was my favourite line to say. I learned it from being a fan of The Wanted. Those five boys changed my life and have kept me sane. Bless them. I spun around and attacked Leo in a life threatening hug.

"Leo, I absolutely love it! It's amazing!" I said as I released him and bent down a bit to look more closely at it.

"I'm glad you like it!" he said happily.

"I don't like it, I love it!" I corrected him as I picked it up and looked at the tiny, delicate leaves.

"Well, I'm glad. Now come on. You and I both know that Marissa will have a harry if you don't get your little princess arse back to that palace and start getting ready." he told me while I set the small pot back on the white wooden table and he pulled me back to the door.

I opened my umbrella and this time we both stood under it while talking about who was coming to tonight's ball.

Mum and Daddy told me that all my relations were coming and that some of the most elite people in the monarchy were also going to be there. That was just a fancy way to say more relations. This was followed by them telling me  to behave myself. I mean really, when have I, Sophia Lorenza, ever misbehaved.

Alright, maybe a few times when I just felt rebellious, but those were little things like not picking up a piece of clothing and not putting the toothpaste back in the cabinet. So that doesn't exactly count. But it's not like I didn't do my share of stupid things behind their backs. I snuck out of my room to hang out with Leo a few times and I don't really listen to my mother when she says 'Lights out!', but who does right? So I guess there was a reason, but I'm still choosing not to listen, because I'm just me.