Chapter 3

It didn’t take long for the ballroom to fill up with bodies of diplomats and Monaco’s biggest celebrities along with my family members, including Dylan who was on his fifth brownie the last time I checked and had also given away the secret to Siva. By this point it was around nine and all of my contemporaries were with me in the foyer laughing and having fun.

I had introduced my cousins to the boys and I was currently in a conversation with Max, Jay, Siva, and Tom. I had no idea where Nathan had gone but it didn’t surprise me when he was letting Kylie, my seven year old cousin, dance on his feet. When I spotted her with him, I could tell that she was tickled pink because she was just as big of a fan as I was.

My staring must have interrupted the conversation, because it didn’t take long for them to follow my gaze.

“Awww, Baby Nath’s got a girlfriend!” Jay said a bit mockingly.

He took a picture and posted it on Twitter with that same comment. When Nathan had finished dancing with her, he glanced at his phone and scowled in our direction before marching over.

“Very funny Bird.”

Before I could make a comment, Martin opened the doors to the ballroom and called for me saying it was time for my entrance. I rounded up the children and sent them to find their parents while telling the boys to go into the ballroom. Once they did, I stood behind the double doors waiting for the butlers to open them after the emcee introduced me.

As my name was called, the doors were pulled back and I walked into the middle of the enormous crowd. I stood a bit shy from all of the eyes on me as I was introduced to each of the many bachelors who were invited. Most of them were sons of diplomats, but I had met all of them before when Mum went through her matchmaker phase.

I was told this morning that I was to dance with six of them after I was introduced so I strategically slipped off my shoes when I was in the foyer and hid them in a cabinet. After what felt like four hundred introductions, including Leo and the boys, I had to pick six of them to dance with. Well this wouldn’t be hard at all. I was handed a piece of paper and wrote the six names of my choosing on it before handing it back to the emcee to read off the first one.

“Leo McCabe.” he called out first as I smiled and met Leo in the middle of the ballroom.

He just smiled at me as he held out a hand and the music started playing. I had taught him how to dance after I was taught so we gracefully waltzed around until the song ended. The crowd clapped and we bowed to each other before he returned to the rest of the people.

“Siva Kaneswaran.” was read out next.

Siva looked a bit shocked as he came over. I smiled as we bowed to each other before he started spinning me around the floor. I could tell that he was trying to be proper and careful and I admired him for that. His girlfriend is very lucky.

“Max George.”

Max laughed at this as he came up to me.

“I’ll warn you now. I can’t dance.”

“Can you do the ‘Cupid Shuffle’?” I asked because I was dying to do it.

“Yeah. Why?”

I didn’t respond, just gave a signal to the DJ and sooner than I could think we were both laughing and doing the ‘Cupid Shuffle’. We finished to soon and we both bowed properly to each other.

“Thomas Parker.”

Tom didn’t even say anything, he just came up to me grinning and as I took a glance back to the rest of them they were all cracking up. When I looked back at Tom, he had started busting out some old school move. I just shrugged my shoulders and joined in having fun with it. I knew I looked like a right idiot but who cares.

“Jay McGuiness.”

Jay came up to me with a questioning look.

“Can you do the Jitterbug?” he whispered to me.

“Yes. Is that what you’d like to do?”

He nodded fervently and I signalled for the DJ to play ‘Marry You’ by Bruno Mars. It started playing and we went into it. The two of us were laughing all the way through it and almost ended up in a heap on the floor multiple times. When we finished, he gave me a hug and whispered in my ear.

“Nath has a crush on a certain Princess of Monaco.”

I looked at him with wide eyes as he winked at me and walked back to the others.

“And last but not least, Nathan Sykes.”

Nathan just stood in shock and the others had to push him forward a little bit before he came up to me and held out his hand. I carefully took it and we slowly started gliding around the floor in time to Kylie Minogue’s ‘Flower’.

As the end approached and the music slowed, I stepped in and leant my head against his shoulder. Just before I stepped back while everyone was clapping, I whispered in his ear.

“I want to show you something.”

He nodded after I pulled my head back and I took his hand in mine as I led him through the crowd. The grandfather clock had just struck eleven as I walked him up the grand main staircase.

“Where are we going?” he asked quietly as I pulled him through a maze of doors and up two more staircases.

I didn’t answer, just pushed open the last door and out onto the secret balcony. It was only accessible from my sitting room so I was the only one that knew about it. We locked eyes for a moment before I spoke.

“Look up.” I whispered as I pointed to the sky that was always covered in a blanket of stars.

He did as I said and his jaw dropped. He just gazed in amazement at the beauty. As he did that, I walked over to the railing and swung myself over the side and onto the rest of the roof.

“Come on.” I said as I gestured for him to follow.

He did and I walked a little bit before flopping myself down and looking at the sea. You could see a few of the lights on our yachts lit up that were down at the pier. As I was looking at the water, I felt something on my hand.

When I looked down I saw Nathan’s fingers interlaced with mine. I smiled and out of the corner of my eye, I could see he was doing the same. As he looked out over the water, I leaned over and pecked his cheek. Before I pulled away I whispered in his ear.

“I like you too.” and with that I stood up and held out my hand. “Come on. They’re going to wonder where we went.”

He stood up and I started walking but he stopped me. When I turned around, he was right behind me and he had this unreadable look in his eyes. I just looked at him and found my eyes flickering between his eyes and lips.

Soon enough his soft lips had captured mine and we were moving in sync. My hands were around his neck while gently tugging on his hair and his arms were wrapped around my waist pulling me completely against his body. I felt his tongue gently glide over my lips and I parted them a bit more giving him access. I let out a soft moan as his tongue went across every inch of my mouth. This just made him pull me closer to him, which I didn’t mind one bit.

Remember how my parents told me to behave? Yeah, I don’t think that’s going to happen tonight.