Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

AGNES LEFAY

The journey to the cabin at Black Warrior River, just at the base of the Appalachian Mountains was long and tedious. Especially after being up all night for the past two nights. First saving Jay and now the long drive to the cabin. Guilt washed over me as I watched from the back seat as Connor and Blake took it in turns to drive. My multiple offers had been shot down every time so the guilt wasn't as bad as it had been, but it was still there. Jay had passed out not long after our make out session, the exertion stealing the last of his energy. I was envious of the deep sleep he was in until the smell of infection grew in the tight confines of the car. His blood had called to me as I stitched him up. The warm coppery sent, making my stomach rumble and reminding me how long it had been since I had eaten. Now... The only scent coming from him was spoiled meat and that was not good. Not good at all.

"Can you guys drop me at the cabin with Jay so I can clean his wounds? I need to get them re-bandaged as soon as possible, while you get the antibiotics." I asked, as Connor announced we were in the village close to the cabin. But apparently not the village with the pharmacy. That was a further hour's drive and I wanted to keep his leg clean enough so the infection didn't get too deep inside of him.

"Sure thing, Red." Connor responded, his piercing grey eyes meeting mine in the rearview mirror, making me momentarily forget how to breathe. The change in road texture was the only thing to break our moment as he turned down a wooded road, needing to focus on the uneven terrain in front of him.

The forest around us was dark and dense, the only light were the headlights from the truck. I don't think it would have been any brighter in the daytime with how thick the foliage around us grew. I was proven right when we finally pulled out into a clearing at the riverside, just as the sun had begun to rise.

It was beautiful. The sky filled with oranges, purples and pinks over the mountain range in front of me and reflected in the water beside us. The sight filled me with hope. If such beauty still existed, maybe we weren't doomed after all. I chewed my lip and gripped the onyx necklace from my childhood as emotion filled my chest and tears spilled onto my cheeks. Transfixed with the sight before me, I didn't even notice that Blake had opened my door and was now lifting Jay's head from lap so I could climb out.

"Breathtaking." I whispered reverently to myself, not taking my eyes from the picturesque view in front of me.

"You sure are." Blake announced with the same reverence before sweeping me into his arms and kissing me deeply. The kiss didn't last long but the stamp it made on my heart would last for a lifetime.

Moving behind me, he wrapped his big strong arms around my waist, resting his chin on my head as we stared out across the river and over to the Appalachian Mountains behind it. A sense of peace and rightness washed over us as I snuggled in deeper into his arms, his mouth coming down and kissing me softly behind my ear. I could feel his smile as the shiver ran through my body from head to toe. The moment felt perfect in our little bubble, everything outside of it could wait while we enjoyed this moment between us. Only one thing was missing...

"I love you." Blake's body stiffened around me for a moment, still uncomfortable with the sentiment. I let out a breath when he finally relaxed, "I love you too, Red." He responded, the warm air of his breath brushing across the skin of my neck, raising the hairs on the back of it, filling me with need.

A groan from behind pulled us out of our moment and dropped us back into the sharp light of reality. Connor was trying to maneuver an unconscious Jay from the back seat on his own and wasn't having much luck.