Chapter Seven

JACKSON CARTER

Well it's safe to say that my reception was a lot more welcoming than Blake's. A hell of a lot more welcoming. My ass had been thoroughly kissed from the second that I had walked through those tall metal gates some twenty four hours ago.

They had inundated me with a deluge of tests and medical questions as well as questions about my training and my past. More specifically, my tours in Afghanistan and the level of action I had seen. Talking of my past always had my anxiety on overdrive and when they had asked what had happened on my last tour, I just repeated the words that my superior told me over and over again "That's classified" . Which was true.

Yes when it came to the death of a whole regiment, questions were always asked and enquiries were always launched. But they did what the government always did, which was to kick dirt over the shit and move on. The records were sealed so I knew these pricks didn't have a clue what had happened and I could tell that it really pissed them off. Hell, I think the fact that I outranked half of the puberty ridden newbies had them green with jealousy and they were just looking for a way to tarnish what no doubt, on my record, looked like an exemplary service.

It was mentioned that a psych evaluation was usually a prerequisite for enlisting but seeing as all the qualified therapists all went walking dead on their ass, I guess I'm thankfully in the free and clear. Because fuck... I would so fail that shit. It was the reason I was honourably discharged after all. That and also the fact that I wouldn't let the bureaucratic bastards forget their failings by pushing them to admit what they had done and to bring my guys home for their families to bury.

But instead I was classed as a trouble maker, labeled as unstable and given a very generous pension which I took a basic portion from and then donate the rest to my guys's families. It was the least I could do seeing as had I failed to get them home safely. The familiar feeling of guilt ate away at me.

Thinking over the treatment I had experienced this past twenty four hours, I couldn't help but think about how Blake would have been treated. I shuddered at the thought. If I was a betting man, I would put all my money that he had been taunted and tortured. I hoped with all my being that I was wrong, but I knew how these places functioned and knew it was a guarantee.

Thankfully, it wouldn't be long until I found out. Once I past my physical, due to them being so short of soldiers, and in particular, commanding officers. I will be be put on guard rotation and given my team the very next day.

BLAKE SAUNDERS

If this was special treatment, I hated to see how the mindless infected were treated. I had a small square room that when I laid down in the centre with my arms spread, I could touch all four sides.

There was no bed. There was no need for one. Every inch of the room was covered in thick white padding, except in one corner where a four square inch hole sat in the floor. Two guesses what that is used for. Let's just say that your aim needed to be pinpoint.

I imagined the padding was for keeping its occupant safe from any frenzied thrashing. But what had me on edge was that I wasn't sure if they had me in here because they didn't know if I would go full blown zombie and ruin their new pet project or if they had something more sinister planned for me.

I had been given basic rations. I hadn't really eaten since I had turned and the waylaid hunger was starting to painfully creep up on me. My stomach gurgled angrily when I thought back to the meager serving of raw meat they had served me earlier. It was nowhere near enough.

God help whoever walked in this room next, because I was close to ripping out the throat of the next meathead that I saw. Where was Todd when you needed him?