Chapter Three

AGNES LEFAY

I couldn't believe what was happening!

This was all my fault. I had completely underestimated how much I meant to the guys and by doing so, what had initially started as me doing the right thing and keeping them safe resulted in two out of three of them taking my place and putting themselves in the line of danger. What have I done?"

The urge to run after a retreating Jay was too much but Connor's strong hand on my shoulder and waist kept me rooted to the spot.

"You have to let him go," Connor whispered in my ear "he knows what he is doing."

My lips tingled as he disappeared out of sight. My heart heavy from the reality of losing Blake and now Jay.

"Come on." Connor urged pulling me back towards the car "We need to get out of here."

"But we can't leave him-" I began to protest, but when I saw the other guard looking at me with a little more than curiosity, I knew he was right. We needed to leave before they tried to test us, Connor would come up clear but just being associated with me would be enough to for them to take him. I had to keep him safe until Jay got Blake out. It was now too late to do the right thing and hand myself in. I couldn't risk them connecting us all and ruining the guys lives completely. At this point in time we still had hope, it may have been all we had but it was still something.

Connor bundled me into the car before rounding the hood and climbing into the driver's seat before starting the engine and putting as much distance between us and the ARC as quickly as possible. I'd seen the guard talking into his radio as he watched us leave, suspicion written clear across his face. Paranoia filled me. My eyes now glued to the rearview mirror until the facility was finally out of sight. We weren't currently being followed but I was under no illusion that they would let us leave untracked. We needed to watch our backs, the soldiers will be coming after us. This was not and IF but a WHEN and we needed to be ready.

"We need to get off the main road, before they have someone tailing us." Connor spoke, his mind obviously in the same place as mine.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Jay's aunt has a farm not too far from here. I've only ever been once at Christmas a few years back." Connor looked contemplative. "I'd slept off a hangover most of the way there but I think I remember where it is."

"Do you think she's still alive?" I asked. I could tell by the look on Connor's face that he hadn't thought about that.

"I hope so," he muttered softly "she was a lovely woman."

In that second my heart broke for Jay at the thought of another possible lost branch in his family tree.

CONNOR PRICE

It wasn't long before Agnes passed out through worry. I knew that she hadn't had much sleep from the night before and that she'd been running on emotional fumes since we left Mysterio. But the stress of seeing Jay willingly walking into that place was just too much for her.

With a heavy sigh, I looked over at the girl that had rocked my world in such a small amount of time. She looked so tiny curled up into a small ball in the passenger's seat leaning against the window. Her gently breaths misting the glass from her slightly parted lips. She was so beautiful, even with that worry line that had worked its way on to her brow. I wish I could take it away but I just felt so damn helpless. Blake and Jay had jumped into action, leaving us both behind. I was volunteered by default to keep our girl safe and while it was a job I would pay with my life for, it didn't stop my body itching to get in on the action.