four ✰ "well aren't you the optimist"

the student lounge was filled with students working on homework, except pitts and meeks, who were working on a radio

the three girls had spent the last hour with their noses stuck in their textbooks. the table they sat at was covered in loose papers, broken pencils, and eraser shavings. 

next to the door, neil and charlie sat at a table, working on their trigonometry homework as cameron hovered over them, giving them instructions on how to solve their homework. 

"just replace these numbers here with x for x and y." cameron instructed. 

"of course." neil replied, finally understanding the problem. 

"of course, so what's the problem?" 

scarlett, who had been working on her trig homework for thirty minutes, didn't understand the concepts. with a groan, she let her head fall onto her notebook. 

"trig is hard." she mumbled. 

neil noticed scarlett's distress. he ripped a piece of paper out of his notebook and crumbled it into a ball. he threw it at scarlett's head. her head shot up as she turned towards neil. she shot him a glare as he chuckled at her.

"if you are having trouble, come over here. cameron would be willing to help," neil nudged cameron in the ribs, who winced in pain. "right, cameron?" cameron nodded as he clutched his ribs.  

scarlett nodded with a grin as she gathered for things for trig. she made her way and dropped her items on the table with a sigh and sat down. "trig is so stupid. i will never use it in my life after high school so why do i have to learn it?" 

"it is important. now pick your pencil up and get to work." cameron demanded. scarlett playfully stuck up her middle  finger at him. neil and charlie chuckled at her action.

as scarlett began to work, knox entered the lounge and closed the door behind him, leaning up against it heavily. he had just gotten back from having dinner at the danburry's house, a friend of his father's.

 he had just gotten back from having dinner at the danburry's house, a friend of his father's

"how was dinner?" charlie asked.

"terrible. awful." he joined scarlett and the boys at the table. 

"why? what happened?" 

"tonight, i met the most beautiful girl in my entire life." 

neil's jaw dropped a little. "are you crazy? what's wrong with that?"

"she's practically engaged." knox explained. "to chet danburry."

"that guy could eat a football." said charlie.

"that's too bad." 

"too bad?" knox whined. "it's worse than too bad, pittsie. it's a tragedy. a girl this beautiful in love with such a jerk." 

this peaked parker's interest, she set her homework aside. "i am sorry, knox." 

scarlett laid a hand on his arm lightly, a comforting smile on her face. 

"ah, forget her. open your trig book and try and figure out problem five." cameron ignored knox's dilemma. 

"i can't just forget her, cameron. and i certainly can't think about trig." 

the boys and girls abandoned the issue as charlie got up to sit across from rory, who was engrossed in a random book. she had finished her homework a while ago and was catching up on her leisure reading. 

the chair squeaked as charlie moved it to sit down. rory looked up from her book, a shocked expression on her face.

"uh, hi." rory stuttered.

"what are you reading there, doll?"

rory was confused by charlie's sudden presence. she didn't understand his intentions. she felt as if she had to be cautious around him.

"the catcher in the rye. have you read it?"

charlie shook his head. "no, i haven't. any good?"

"yes, it is. you remind me of holden caufield." 

charlie furrowed his eyebrows. "how come?"

before rory could respond, mr. hager walked into the room, just as the radio meeks and pitts were working on let out a high pitched hum. pitts quickly set the radio in his lap.

"all right, five minutes. let's go." 

the students quickly picked up their belongings. rory sent charlie a warm smile as she followed parker out of the room. 

while walking out of the room, charlie leaned into knox, "did you see her naked?" 

"very funny, dalton."

hager noticed the radio in pitts's lap. "that wouldn't be a radio in your lap, would it mr. pitts?"

"no sir. science experiment, radar." 

meeks held up an antenna.

as the students piled out of the room, rushing to get back to their dorms, neil walked with scarlett. 

"i feel so bad for knox." scarlett began. "he fell so hard. it's a shame she is already in a relationship." 

"falling hard isn't a bad thing. maybe he is in it for the long game." neil smiled at her.

scarlett bit her lip as she tried to hide the growing blush on her cheeks. 

"well aren't you the optimist." 

neil rolled his eyes as he and scarlett went their separate ways.