prologue ✰

the september air felt more frosty than usual

the september air felt more frosty than usual. scarlett keating was busy shoving her whole life that was packed away in suitcases into her father's car. 

her father, john, had gotten a job teaching english at welton academy, a school for boys. 

welton was a very prestigious academy that was very hard to get into, unless you were rich or in scarlett's case, a child of one of the professors. 

for the first time in welton history, the school was admitting three girls to see if welton was capable of becoming co-ed in the future. two of the girls were daughters of two professors, the third was admitted through a scholarship.

"well, do you have everything?" her mother asked, her face softened with sadness. scarlett nodded as tears began to brim her the corner of her eyes.

she reached out and tackled her mother with a tight hug. "i am going to miss you, mom." 

"i'll miss you too, darling. promise to call everyday and to tell me everything that goes on at that school!" 

scarlett grinned as her father came out of the two-story house. 

"we've got to get going, scar." john began as he kissed his wife briefly. "i will call when we get settled." 

scarlett wiped the tears from her cheeks with the sleeve of her maroon sweater as she got into the passenger seat of the cramped car.

she'd miss her mother dearly but welton was a once in a lifetime opportunity. it was now or never.