chapter 2: From Hero to Slave

Zekeseus stepped out of he tree line, a smile spread across his face. In front of him stood two gargantuan golden gates. Engravings of twin dragons adorned the gates. on either side of the great entrance stood two white marble walls that seemed to stretch on forever.

"Draconia, city on the mountain top, shrewdest in clouds," Zeke mused "home sweet home"

Behind him Sebastian stepped out of the tree line followed by the remaining dragon troops. Sebastian said nothing, his face was dark and sullen as it has been for the entire march back from the battle. Zeke unnerved by Sebastian's mood. Yesterday they had manage to leave a battle field with only a few casualties the Draconia was apparently entering a time of peace. Sebastian should have been on top of the world but instead he looked as though he had lost an entire garisan of troops. 

"Seba," Zeke said "are u feeling alright my friend?"

Sebastian blinked as he was pulled from his thoughts, "y-yes, I'm fine" he turned to face the gates of the city, "We have returned, give us entry!"

The head of a guarded peered over the wall then disappeared. Suddenly the ground shook as the large golden gates opened, and the cheers of the citizens poured out. Zekeseus and Sebastian led the army into the shining white marble city. Dragons young and old lined the streets of the city to welcome the soldiers home. they shouted and clapped, while children ran along side the returning warriors. Some of the citizens line the roof tops of the old villa style homes that made up the city and threw white lotus pedals down over the streets, gently raining over the troops. Zekeseus adored returning home to his beloved city, win, lose , or draw Draconia welcomed him back with open arms. no matter how bloody a battle had gotten these white marble streets remained pure sparkling white.

At last the Army arrived in the royal court yard facing the grand Draconian palace. A huge building held up by a fleet of white columns and embellished with gold. Sebastian turned to face the army.

"You have done great work today, you all have fought well, you are strong! you are fearless! you are Dragons!"

"Dragons!" the army echoed. they then turned and dispersed heading for their  individual dwellings. Zeke had heard Sebastian give this chant dozens of times, but this time he could tell his heart wasn't in it. What could possibly have happened to have Sebastian act this way. Zekeseus began to turn to return to his home, when Sebastian stopped him.

"Zekeseus, the council has asked for your presence for the debrief." there was an deep sorrow in Sebastian's eyes that scared Zeke.

"o-ok, lead he way brother" Zekeseus responded

Sebastian turned and began to walk towards he palace. Zeke didn't know what to expect, but fear gripped him. Something bad was coming, something that no amount of his lighting would be able to get him out of.

--

Zekeseus had only been inside the the palace a few times, although he was the current incarnation of the lightning element. His military standing was that of a low ranking soldier. The inside of the palace was much like he outside white marble adorned with gold leaf. white and gray marble status lines the main corridor that the dragons walked down. Zekeseus's stomach titened as they reach the two gold double doors at the end of the hall. Sebastian layed his hand on the door, paused a moment then pushed it open and the two warriors entered the palaces main chamber. Zeke stand in a large circular room, a white brick floor sits glimmering under his feet. Above him soared a dome that was no less than 20 stories high. before him was a marble slab,on which sat 9 chairs. In the chairs sat the 9 Draconian elders.

9 old dragons many had long beards and huge horns. the Dragon in the center seat seemed to radiate power. expansive antler like ivory horns jutted out of his long silver hair. His long silver beard reached almost to the ground. his eyes seemed to glow ice blue, staring directly into Zekeseus's. The head elder held his gaze for a moment saying nothing, then broke silence, turning his gaze to Sebastian.