Chapter 22 - Finding Erik

“Zhek, you don't know how happy I am to see you!” I picked myself up from the floor and threw my arms around him.

“Hush! We can't have everyone hearing. We need to plan a way to get you out of here. I have a plan.” I eagerly nodded. At least I wouldn't have to be hurt. If we got away I would be free. Our plan was that we would cut a hole in the ten and climb out. Brilliant, right? Well, it worked like a charm because my tent was on the outskirts. We were long gone before they even knew we had left. At last we stopped and Zhek tossed me a spare set of clothes.

“Get changed. We can't have you riding a horse in those things.” I smiled and he turned his back so I could change. When I had changed we hit the rode again. But we were going slower so I got the chance to asked,

“Have you heard anything about Erik?” I was half hoping and half fearing the answer. Zhek sighed.

“Well, I haven't heard from any of the other gypsy camps about him and I am sure that his sale would've been well known. I can only guess that he is still with Coco. I doubt Coco would give up his prize just because he ran for a while. I am sure that Erik suffered but I am also sure that he somewhere we can get him out.” I was only slightly relieved. We didn't say anything for the next few hours. The only thing we heard was the pounding of our horses' hooves. There was nothing to say. Neither one of us wanted to imagine that Erik might be dead. He would live for you, Alair, a voice in my head said. I know. I replied to it, but he might think that I am dead. If he thinks that then he wouldn't have anything to live for. I have got to find him. With that thought etched in my mind I swore that I would save Erik no matter what it would take. By the next night we were on the edge of Coco's camp. I saw something that made my blood run cold. There was the large tent and the sigh which still read “The Living Corpse.” But that wasn't what stopped my heart temporarily it was the the line of people and Coco who was taking the money from them. Have they no moral's, I wanted to scream but I knew it would do me no good. After much discussion we decided to camp on the outskirts until the camp settled down for the night then make our way towards the tent.

Erik's POV:

A show had just ended and every muscle hurt if I even thought about moving it. Normally I would've been broken by now but something wouldn't die. Coco wouldn't tell me anything about where Alair was and my heart was breaking because I couldn't see her. Had she forgotten about me? Did she think I was dead like I sometimes thought about her? I had often wondered if she was dead. But then Coco knew how much I loved her and that would be the perfect punishment to tell me. He knew it would break me. But I could tell when he was lying and he knew it too. I groaned and laid down on the hay that served as a bed. I missed the warm bed at Alair's Aunt and Uncle. They had been so kind. I wondered about Zhek. He was a retired police officer. Maybe he could help me. I wondered if Natilde and Medwin even cared what happened to me. After all I am nothing more than the monster who wanted to marry their niece. They never quite approved of me. I was different and that would always be my downfall. Alair was the only one who had seen past it. I remembered fondly those months I spent with her in the small shack in the woods. Those had been the days where we slept side-by-side and talked. Those had been the days when I was completely happy. No one bothered us. No one asked about me and my mask. Everyone ignored us. I liked things that way. I had been happy in Germany but not quite as happy. I had to mingle with people and that I didn't like. Most people would never understand me. As I wallowed in my own grief and fear, I heard some whispering outside the tent.Someone wants to see the Living Corpse. Well, I don't care. Nothing matters now. I listened and thought I recognized the voice but I didn't want to hope. Then the tent flap opened. What I saw filled me with such joy. It was Zhek and Alair.