Chapter 8 - Uncle Medwin

The trip to Germany was hard but we managed as well as we could. It was hard to stay hidden. Erik insisted we travel at night and because we could somewhat see in the dark we could travel without the moon. It was long but soon we were close to the city of Kassel which is located in the province of Hesse. This is where my uncle lived. We slipped through the darkened streets as we made our way to my uncle's old home. My father's brother was a kind man and had always treated me with hospitality and might have won custody of me except he didn't hear of it time. My aunt had already leaped on the opportunity to make a little money. As we crept down the streets I saw a tall figure walking in front of us. I handed the reins of our horses to Erik and slipped ahead to see who this person was. I almost gave away my position when I saw that it was my uncle. He looked just like my father but a little older.

“Uncle Medwin?” I asked cautiously from the shadows. The man spun and stared into the shadows.

“Who is there?” I had kept my eyes averted to avoid them giving me away but now I looked him full in the face and stepped slightly into the light. Just enough so he could see the lock of blond hair.

“Alair?” He studied me closer and flinging his arms around me cried, “Alair! You don't know who glad I am to see you!” He held me and arms length and smiled. “You have grown into quite a girl.” He hugged me again and I heard a growl from behind me. It was Erik. He was overprotective and didn't like someone he didn't know having their hands on me. Uncle Medwin heard it because he took a step back.

“Don't worry, Uncle. Its just Erik. Erik, its okay to come out. Uncle Medwin won't hurt us.” My uncle took one more step back when he saw Erik step from the shadows. I had forgotten what an imposing figure he made in the darkness. Then he looked my uncle in the eye. Uncle Medwin didn't step back again like I expected him to. Instead he stuck out his hand and shook Erik's skeletal hand.

“Delighted to make your acquaintance, Erik. So you seem to be Alair's body guard? Well, she must be a handful!” Erik said nothing so Uncle Medwin directed his attention to me.

“Well, Alair, your aunt will be glad to see you! She has missed you so much. And wait till you see how much Dustine has grown. You will hardly recognize her. And of course you both will stay at my house. We have lots of room. Right this way.” Uncle Medwin pointed in the direction he was heading and Erik and I followed. Uncle talked up a storm about everything he could think of. All I was asked to do was nodded and respond quietly. Erik said nothing. I could feel the distrust in his manners. He didn't trust anyone at all. I knew the only reason he trusted me was because he had to to get away. And in doing so he learned to truly trust me. Erik led the horses behind them and I heard him mutter something.

“Uncle,” I asked sweetly, “is there any kind of work I might be able to do?” Uncle scoffed.

“You will not be working. No, on the contrary, I believe you are old enough to have suitor!” I frowned and heard a slight growl from Erik. I was confused. Why was Erik jealous? My Uncle Medwin didn't seemed to have heard Erik and he continued to talk about all his friends who had a young sons. They sounded interesting but the more I thought about it they weren't as interesting as the masked man who walked behind me. I like him more and always would. He was a mystery and that was what I wanted.

“Uncle, I don't know if I want to consider marriage. After all I am still seventeen and I would prefer to stay single a little while longer.” My Uncle scowled then smiled and mischievous smile.

“Oh, I see.” I looked at him, puzzled but he wouldn't say another word. By that time we had arrived at his home. It was modest two story brick dwelling. We walked through the door and was immediately greeted by my Aunt Natilde who hugged Uncle and kissed his all over.

“I was beginning to worry!” Then she noticed Erik and I. Erik had handed the horses over to stable boy and was now standing in the entryway. He had drawn the cowl over his head and was trying to hide. He wasn't having much luck considering that my uncle's home was brightly lit.

“Medwin, who are these people?” Aunt Natilde.

“Natilde, this is Alair, your niece.” My Aunt gasped and hugged me tight.

“Oh, my dear girl, you don't know how glad I am to see you again. When we heard you had been sold as a slave we feared we wouldn't ever see you again. Who is your friend?” Now came the hard part. I had to introduce a very solemn Erik to my very bubbly and, I might add, touchy aunt. And Aunt didn't know how to keep her mouth shut either.

“Aunt, this is Erik. He is a friend of mine from the gypsy camp.” Aunt smiled broadly and gave Erik a big hug. If you haven't gathered yet, my aunt is a big hugger. I watched Erik's golden eyes grow wide and he tried to return the hug. I could tell he wasn't sure how to handle people who were so completely accepting. Aunt drew away and said,

“Has Alair been feeding you! Oh, I will have to put some weight on those bones if you don't want to waste away. Alair, what have you two been eating?”

“Whatever we can find.” I smiled at Aunt's assessment of Erik condition. He had told me that he was always abnormally skinny. The fact was that he was skinnier then he had ever been but there was little chance my aunt's cooking was going to put weight on him.