Chapter 5

Amanda was still up doing research for a project about improving the flight booking system, or some nonsense like that. I never really understood 'IT' to be honest. Sure, I could put together my own computer and take it apart. But throw me anything other than hardware issues, and you'll find me huddled in a corner tearing my hair out.

She looked up as I stood behind her, trying to make sense of the stuff on the screen.

"Yes Kyle? What do you want?" Amanda had this ability to read others, and know when something is up.

"I... Well, we have to talk. There's something I need to tell you." With so much going on, I figured it best if I sought a second opinion other than Rudolph's.

We made tea and moved to the hall. Nothing beats hot, sweet tea on a cold and wet night.

"Three cubes and milk. I swear you're gonna get diabetes if you keep this up! Cut down the sugar will you? Anyway, what's so important that you have to drag me from my work?"

I half expected a more serious berating for dragging the workaholic away from her drug, but she knew I was troubled. I have been jittery and restless since receiving the job offer, which Amanda doesn't know about. I tried pouring this restlessness into my writing, and it worked for a while. I completed half my novella, with plenty of back stories to each character. But I couldn't concentrate much, with the issue of leaving drawing closer with each day. It needed to be resolved, and a decision has to be made.

"Alright, here it is." I drew a deep breath, trying to still my nerves. Will she be angry? Or disappointed? After all, our relationship has been getting serious, with talks about marriage and starting a family. Long distance relationships don't usually work out the way we want them to.

"Ihaveajobofferthatmighttakemeacrosstheworldforatleasthalfayear." It came out in a rush, and not making a whole lot of sense.

"What the fuck? Kyle, since when were you into rapping? Slow down and breathe. B. R. E. A. T. H. E." An eyebrow went up. She was getting annoyed.

"Okay, I said, I have a job offer that might take me across the world for at least half a year. And I wanted to know your thoughts on it. Should I take up the offer?"

Amanda remained silent and sipped on her tea.

The silence endured, much to my surprise.

We sat there quietly, with the low hum of the light providing an ostinato to a duet that was playing only in our heads. The whirring of mental cogs were so loud that I swear I saw Tabbie jump.

"How's the novel coming along?" She enquired, throwing the silent conversation into a new direction without any preempt.

"It's coming along, but I sort of threw my protagonist into a situation that he can't deal with - that I can't untangle." I replied, wondering why were we on this topic when I had dragged her from her work with that bombshell. But knowing Amanda, she has her own train of thought that is quite an enigma to other observers. I waited to see where this conversation would head towards.

"Don't you see the similarities? You're living your story in a way. The predicament that your protagonist is in is exactly the same as the one you are facing now. Well, not exactly identical considering that you're not facing off an undead army of scarabs. I think once you've straightened things out in your story, your mind will be clearer. I can't tell you what to do, but I will tell you what you should not do. You will not leave the novel unfinished, and you will not make any decisions before finishing your story. "

Unprepared for this barrage of honesty, I said nothing. I looked at the cup of tea in my hands. I just looked at the creamy pale liquid swirling lazily while the aroma of the breakfast tea found its way to my nose.

What she said made perfect sense; what she asked me for made even more. In the months that we had been together, she has seen me starting and dropping projects and ideas without a second glance. I had dozens of ideas, and not enough motivation to carry any of them through.

Since young, I've been tempted by challenges, only to give up when I'm midway into it. It could be boredom, or just pure laziness. But I always found a convincing enough reason to delude myself into believing it to be the truth.

I looked up from my now-cool tea and found Amanda looking intently at me.

"Let's get a pizza and leave the work for tomorrow. I think we've both had enough thinking for today." Amanda said, picking up her phone and dialing the number for Dominic's Pizzeria.