Chapter 4

Amanda didn't seem at all pleased by my choice to immerse myself in writing. She kept mumm about it, but any idiot could tell. Her passive aggressiveness grew steadily, and I realised that the only way I could sway her mind was to actually become successful at this.

Wattpad became my training ground as I worked on my first serious novel. My not so new fan, Aneb-hetch became my most critical editor (of sorts). And after 3 months of conversation with him, I only found out that he is from Texas, with a background in ancient Egyptian history. Who majors in that anyway. Although I partially understand the curiosity and attention one garners when telling others about pictograms and hieroglyphs. Geeks ahoy!

Confusing as it may be, I have to admit that I was once drawn to the Egyptian legends and the secrets behind the hieroglyphs. Well, drawn enough to own a replica of the fabled book of the dead, a scroll to guide the deceased through the perils of the afterlife. Filled with spells and curses in the form of vibrantly coloured drawings (that didn't make sense to me), I had unknowingly spent hours mulling over the intricacies of the images. The detailed craftsmanship evident in the way each and every line was scrutinised and portrayed in its very best. Oh, and the images seem to come alive after smoking enough pot. Not that I do that very often.

Rudolph had gotten serious with what's-her-name and was constantly talking about marriage. And I do mean constantly. For example, his facebook profile is filled with lists of "Top Ten Reasons She's the One", or "How to divorce Bacherlorhood". I'm kidding about the latter. But you do get the idea. He's seriously the first guy I've known that is so into settling down. That might have been a good thing if not for the past 17 girls that he wanted to marry. And unsurprisingly, the past 17 lessons have yet to get through to his brain. If he has a brain, that is.

"That's not the point! What's important is that she is The One, and I know we'll be happy with each other," Rudolph insisted when I pointed out the 17 previous occasions where he almost went down on his knees.

Heaving a sigh, I turned my attention to our surroundings. We were caught in the rain, with the only shelter being an overpass. Our phones were dead. They died an hour ago when the tap ran dry and the bartender chased us out. Without any other options, we were forced to seek shelter there, sharing the dry space with a homeless guy sleeping in a makeshift cardboard tent. At least he was dry, unlike us, soaked to the bones. What good is money in such a situation? And in today's paperless economy, plastic cards won't do any good in starting fires. At least you could burn paper money when you really have no choice.

Huddled together for warmth, we lit up a cigarette and looked at each other in exasperation. We had places to be, and things to do. Caught in a downpour with no means of getting out of it sucks. The only rational decision we could manage in our alcohol induced stupor was to seek shelter.

"Have you decided what to do with that offer? It's not everyday you get an invitation to one of the biggest shipping firms in the world you know," Rudolph asked, breaking the steady wash of rain hitting the sidewalk.

"I know, but it's going to take me away for a good six months at least. With the current situation at home, and with my only friends here in Singapore, I don't think it's wise to leave. "

"Don't be daft. You're just afraid of change, and of the unknown. Aren't you sick of leaching off Amanda? And friends are just acquaintances of convenience. What makes you think we'll be sitting here together if not for your need of my wisdom? Change is the only constant, and stagnation is the bane of greatness." Rudolph grumbled. This kid definitely has issues.

"Stop trying to glorify yourself man. You know we're here because of the rain, and you're my friend because no one is dumb enough to put up with your stupidity." As much as I wanted to deny it, he does make sense. No one was born into greatness, and any greatness bestowed had to be worked on.

We sat in silence as I pondered upon what he had said. Every now and then, the usually playful and happy-go-lucky Rudolph made sense and actually give decent advice. Strangers would see him as a shallow fellow with nothing much to offer. But once you peel back the outer layer of callousness, there was a wealth of knowledge waiting to be explored, or exploited, depending on your approach.

The roar of the rain lessened into a steady rhythm, and the light show ended. Without speaking, we knew the night was over and parted ways, with my mind clouded with the endless possibilities and downfalls of leaving.