A New Friend

One of my favorite subjects is English. I get to have a class on it today! Just like yesterday, this is just an introduction to the course. The layout for this classroom looked so much like a high school one because of its size. There weren't actual desks, though. Just chairs with a small desk to write or type notes. I sat at the very back of the room because I tend to get really shy when I'm at the front.

I hear a guy's voice. "Excuse me." He said polite words in a rude way.

I moved out of the way to make room for him to get through. He sat to the left of me. Just by the way he dressed, he looked very mysterious and emo. He carried a plastic bag from the book store and a binder with tons of writing and doodles on it.

He began to talk to me. "Hi, what's your name? I don't recall seeing you anywhere. As with these other people! I have no friends in here and it makes me so sad. I need somebody to talk to or else my mind would just go SPLAT."

"I'm Jill. Jill Bradley." I said.

"Nice name! I have a cousin with the same one! She's younger and taller than me which is ridiculous. Anyway, I'm Evan Lerland. You can just call me Lerland because I don't like the name Evan. It just doesn't suit me at all! And to add to that, I look SO different from the rest of my family. They all have a dirty blond hair color or a light brown. Mine's light blond. LIGHT. And that's the reason why I still think I'm adopted! From this day on. Them telling me I'm not doesn't make me think I'm not."

"What a great story!" I said. This guy seems like he loves to talk!

Lerland adjusted his glasses. "Oh, and to add to that, I have an older sister that I think is weird. She keeps practicing her lines in her room and won't shut up. She feels equally the same about me, saying she's embarrassed to have me as a brother. Her workplace has closed down this year so that made me feel better. She's currently looking for a job and hasn't found one yet."

Lerland kept rambling on about his family. It kind of got boring after a while. "What's that binder for?" I asked.

Lerland raised his binder up for clarification. "This? Oh. It's where I store all my beautiful art. I'll show you." He puts the binder down and flipped through each page. Then he stopped and went to the first page. "This is a drawing of a girl made using really expensive markers. I'm not kidding! Each of the markers cost $7."

"And what would be the point of those markers?" I asked.

"Oh. They're REALLY good for blending. Blending with markers is what a drawing look more professional. You know, like digital art, but on paper. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not really good with computers and all that." He showed me some of the other drawings he made using said markers.

"That's really cool! Though I'm not so experienced with markers myself. I'd like to colour with more than just pencil crayons. I just use black markers to outline my drawings."

"That's a good start. If you're interested, they sell all sorts of markers in the book store. They have a wide selection there!" He pointed to himself. "This artist is happy because of it."

"Awesome. I'll check it out later. And didn't you say you weren't good with computers...? I'm pretty good with them, a little bit. It's mostly just shortcut keys, though. But when I try to help my teachers with technical difficulties, I fail to fix their issues and embarrass myself."

Lerland paused. "You know, I have a really good friend who's a techie, a guy who knows about the ins and outs of a computer. I haven't been seeing him around this week, ever since school started. Our classes are on different days!"

Our class instructor, who was a woman, introduced English in a very interesting way. Lerland made comments about the course outline and said he recognized many of the poems we'll analyze in the future.

Lerland quickly rested his hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry about it, Jill. If you need any help with this stuff, I'm here."

This is great. It seems like I've just made a new friend!

When the class was over, I talked to Lerland about his techie friend. "I'd like to meet him. He seems like he knows his stuff. We probably have a lot in common."

Lerland's small eyes grew with surprise and his mouth grew wide when I said that. "No way! There's no one who's interested in him like that. No one actually cares about him! No one ever talks about him! Although there was one mysterious girl who did... but that's another story. If you'd like, I'll tell you about it."

I shook my head. "I'm good. That's none of my business."

Lerland nodded his head. "Okay then! You're not creepy. I admire you for that. Now I have to leave. See ya!" He headed over to the art building.

I headed to the tunnel by myself on my way to the library. Many students were around. There was a coffee shop with a long line-up; the majority of it being girls. I didn't know how to order there because its menu was too complicated for me. I also think coffee smells gross. There were tables nearby with black sofa-like seats to accompany them. Many pictures of historical figures I've never even heard about were on a wall. This would be a good place to hang out.

When I looked around, the seats were full. Lots of people hanging out with friends while I'm just here alone. At least I've made friends with the Lerland guy. But what if he has other friends? I'm probably not his favourite. I'm sure he talks a lot with other people. He's an outgoing guy. I don't think I'll ever be like that.

Lerland also mentioned that no one talks about his techie friend. I'm not sure why. But then again, maybe he isn't as interesting as I thought he is. Even I'm unsure whether I'll meet him or not. The school is a huge place.

When it felt like it was time to go home, I hopped on the bus taking me to the mall. Same routine as last time. I thought about the USB I'm not able to buy. But I feel like I need it badly. When I got home, I spent a little time talking to my family about it. They said I can get it by the end of the year.

That Thursday ended off well.