T W E N T Y - T W O

Last night was the first night since the charity concert that I spent not sleeping beside Beau. I tossed and turned all night, not getting a blink of sleep, while Gemma snored softly beside me. I wanted to just go to bed, to not have to think about Beau and how he let me leave without saying a word. At the same time, I wanted to storm back up to our suite and shout at him until he saw how shitty he'd been. We've been working so hard and just when things are going well, he does something like this. At the after party of my first ever runway show, to make things even worse.

In the end, I didn't do either of those things. I spent the first hour laying in bed so angry, but then as time passed, I started to worry about Beau, which only infuriated me more. A million thoughts ran through my mind all night long, refusing to let me get any rest as I struggled to come to a decision.

Exhausted, I take in my ridiculous appearance in the bathroom mirror, my bleached brows and hair sprayed hair mocking me in my reflection. Gemma groans in the main room, finally awake, and I make my expression as neutral as possible before returning to face her.

Saved by the bell, I think to myself as my phone rings loudly on the bedside table. I rush to answer it, only briefly apologizing to Gemma as she throws the comforter over her head and I avoid her gaze entirely.

"Miss Carter." My heart stops and I suddenly wish I hadn't picked up. Even facing hungover and concerned Gemma at eight o'clock in the morning would be better than this.

"Yes, Fiona?" I brace myself for her response.

Her voice is sharp, irritation lacing her tone as she asks, "When do you get in this afternoon?"

Shit. "Four," I answer truthfully.

"I would like to meet with you and Mr. Lewis at five- thirty. I assume you understand the urgency?" My jaw clenches at her condescending attitude, obvious even over the phone.

Regret courses through me, I shouldn't even have brought Beau on this trip. How could I not see something like this coming? I force the words out of my mouth. "Yes, I understand."

Back in town, I watch Gemma jog up her parents patio through the windshield, her hands shielding her hair from the light drizzle of the rain, and feel Beau's eyes on my face. It's just us now - we dropped Jace off at the hotel first, his presence only making things more tense the entire way home.

I stare straight ahead, unwilling to give in this time. "Em, can we talk about it?" Beau's voice is soft and unsure. It's almost enough to make me cave just to comfort him, but when he places a hand on my thigh, my irritation boils over.

"Oh, we will. With Fiona, at five-thirty." I snap, finally meeting his eyes. His face falls and I continue. "So you'll have plenty of time to think about what you'll say,"

Stunned by the news that we'll have our heads ripped off by Fiona very shortly, or by my own personal attitude, Beau is quiet the rest of the ride home and right up until Fiona and Rocco enter the apartment some time after us, dripping from the rain.

"What were you thinking?" Fiona doesn't have to raise her voice to let us know how furious she is. Her hellish glare across my small kitchen table is enough. I squirm in my seat and focus on my kitchen cabinets - as angry as I am with Beau, I don't like how she's speaking to him and I'm trying to keep my temper in check.

Beau rolls his eyes and leans back in my wooden chair as if he's bored. "That Jace was going to get his ass kicked by those two guys," He shrugs.

"Next time, let him." Fiona seethes, stressing every word.

"Let him?" Beau shouts, making me jump beside him. I bite my lip, concentrating on the grainy wood-like substance of the table.

"There's no need for anyone to start yelling," Rocco grumbles, finally looking up from his folded hands and up to Beau. "Just calm down, okay?"