N I N E

Smack. I nearly jump off my stool when Nadine throws the latest edition of a teen gossip magazine in front of me. "Good morning," I sip my coffee sheepishly, avoiding looking at the cover. I've seen plenty of similar articles all over the internet this morning.

"What's this?" Nadine stands with her hands on her hips, a wet wash rag dampening her apron.

"It's nothing," I shrug, scanning the cafe for any customers in need. Of course, the time I want to avoid a conversation with Nadine, is also the time all our customers are satisfied and smiling. Not that many of them haven't given me the same incredulous look she's giving me now. I knew I'd have to face everyone eventually, I just had been avoiding the thought entirely instead of planning out my strategy for when the time came.

"This doesn't look like nothing, Miss Emma." Nadine clucks her tongue at me, flipping the magazine open to the cover story. "This one is my favorite," she lifts the magazine in front of my face so I can't avoid the photo.

I sigh, taking the magazine into my own hands. "It's not so bad," I mumble as I take in the grainy photo in front of me. Along with a couple shots of us walking out of the club, including the one where Beau gave the paps a thumbs up, is a dimly lit photo of us on the dance floor. Bodies close, a smile on my face, and a ... not scowl on Beau's. I stop the smile from forming on my lips, taking in Beau's crazy hair and strong jaw, the blue light of the strobes illuminating his tattooed skin.

"Mhm." Nadine comes around the counter to grab herself a croissant, breaking me out of my daydream. "Is that what you'll say to the Admissions office when you apply to school?"

My heart skips at her words. I hadn't given much thought to what I'd say to the admissions reps when I finally saved enough to apply. I was so focused on just having the money to do it, I pushed the idea of owning up to the whole ordeal out of my mind. "It doesn't say my name," I argue lamely.

"Mhm," Nadine murmurs, giving me a pat on the shoulder. "I just want you to be careful, baby. That's all," she brushes a crumb from her dress.

"I know," I smile graciously at my friend. That doesn't make it any easier though. I push the thoughts from my mind as another group of preteens enters the cafe, giggles bubbling in the air around them.

"What can I get you today?" I smile politely at the first in line, clearly the ringleader.

Instead of an answer, she slides her phone over to me, sending her friends into another fit of giggles. "Is it true?" She whispers, eyes wide.

I glance down, already knowing I'll see more of the night club pictures. I shrug casually, "We hang out." I smile as her excitement grows, the other girls nearly jumping in their spots in line.

"Oh God, you're so lucky! Beau Lewis is just so gorgeous and—" The other girls join in her lovestruck ramblings, making it impossible to make out another word. Once I finally get the girls orders to them, I take out my phone and send Beau a quick text.

Fiona should be happy - lots of fan girls at the cafe today ;)

Surprisingly, I barely have time to tuck my phone back into my apron before Beau replies.

Fiona is never happy

I scrunch my nose in distaste, starting to believe it myself. Another message from Beau.

Btw, Fiona is making me work late. Have to push back our dinner till next week. Fiona's orders.

I surprise myself by letting out a disappointed sigh and mentally cursing the scary blonde. Beau and I argue most of the time, but I've gotten used to hanging out with him. One might even say I've started looking forward to our outings.