CHAPTER 5: HARSH REALITY

Chapter 5: Harsh Reality

'The woods are lovely, dark and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep' my dad said , dramatically stretching his arms as he faced the setting sun. He had his back to me.

'Seriously?' I asked him ' you are quoting the William Blake! From when did this happen?'

'Oh! This ? Another one of my many unknown talents' he smirked whilst I just rolled my eyes.

'Dad, get to the point. Should I accept this job or not?' I asked him.

'That is what I was trying to explain you through the verses. But I was rudely cut off!'

'Hmm...miles to go before I sleep' I repeated the lines, ' so, is it a yes?'

'No, totally depends upon which wood you want to enter' he said , confusing me more.

'This conversation is going no where dad' I cried, tired of his indirect answers 'just tell me whether I should go on with this deal or not?' I asked, for the hundredth time.

'That is your lookout' he said keeping a straight face, surprising me. Never, never before  had he spoken to me in that tone. Nor had he tried to avoid my questions.

'Dad...why are you doing this? What has gotten into you?' My voice cracked.

'Mary' he said softly, keeping his hands on my shoulders and making me look into his eyes. His face had soften a bit.

'Look! I know I always have had solutions to your problems. Every time you got lost I have tried my best to bring you back on the right track. But I cannot help you this time, its totally your decision what you want to do' pointing a finger towards me'   Every time you will face a problem will you come back here? Tell me?' He said looking down at the sand, I stayed silent, trying to sink in the words.

' I won't be there throughout your life to find your  answers dear. I may guide the path and I have done that but its you who needs to know what your heart wants. Its your life after all. I , we all are there for you. But, its just that sorry I cannot help you this time. Its only your journey from now onwards.'

'I know dad' I said sighing 'maybe I just relied on you a lot. Am I a burden to you?' I asked but regretted those words as soon as I said them.

'No!no! Don't ..' But I cut him off ' I am sorry . I didn't mean to say that. Its just that I am frustated. I just don't know what I want. Its getting on my nerves. I am stuck in between two phases. I am too ashamed to take some steps back at the same time scared to move one further'

'Give it some time then. Well that's what I can tell you now' he said repeating mom's words.

I just noded and smiled a little.

'Its getting darker. Now let's head home' dad suddenly announced.

I took a look around , it indeed was getting darker and quieter. Only a few people were scattered here and there.

'Can I stay a bit longer?' I asked.

' Yeah sure. But don't stay here too long. I now take your leave ma'am.' He said bowing down, making me chuckle and lighten my mood .

He turned away to go but stoped mid way and said ' Don't forget 'but I have promises to keep'. Its equally important'

What? Oh! Then it hit me, he was talking about the poem. But what did he mean anyway. Before I could ask him he was gone. I could only see his  figure in distance,getting smaller every second . Never mind, I would ask him once I get home.

I sat down , with my head on my knees. The beach was almost empty  and I could only hear the sound of waves, collapsing. I steadied my gaze over them .

At first they seemed like running towards me in groups but as they got nearer they parted  and could be defined into a distinct wave. Slowly, they collapsed and penetrated into the sand.

Sadly, in case of humans it isn't otherwise. However we are used to 'we', in the end its only 'I'.