29 : Hermione

Song for the Chapter : prom dress ~ mxmtoon

Hermione's POV

"Well, I'll just have to kill him, then, won't I?" Muttered Draco, his voice trembling with fury. I edged up against the wall and he sat down beside me, shuddering and breathing heavily. There was no use comforting him. I felt just as bad myself.

"I don't know how to feel about him," I sighed dejectedly, wiping my eyes on my sleeve. "All I've done this year is cry. And it's all because of Ron." Bitterness ebbed through my voice. "Sorry," I added hastily, swallowing. Draco raised his eyebrows.

"What are you apologising for?" He exclaimed incredulously. "You just said everything was Weasley's fault! Seriously, Hermione. You blame yourself for everything. Leave this to me."

"No!" I said hastily, laying my hand on his arm to stop him. "Please. You'll only go and start more trouble. And besides, you can't break every bone in his face, he won't have anything left." I forced a weak smile. "I can deal with it myself."

"Are you sure?" Asked Draco gently. "I hate it when you cry. It makes me feel all..."

He hesitated. "What?" I asked, a smile spreading slightly across my rosy cheeks. Draco shrugged and leant back against the wall.

"Dunno," he mumbled. "It's weird. You're sad - I'm sad." I smiled and wrapped my hand around his, squeezing it while I looked for comfort.

"Yeah," I sighed. I stood up abruptly, smoothing down my skirt. "Well, I'm going to go and find him. He's probably still in the great hall," I added grimly. "Bloody pig he is." I set off quickly and was about to head inside when a first-year sprinted up to me.

"You're Hermione Granger?" He asked breathlessly. His face was bright pink, and there was a letter in his outstretched hand. I nodded uncertainly and he pushed the letter into my arms. "This came for you. I was told to deliver it."

"Who gave it to you?" I inquired confusedly, studying the handwriting on the envelope. My name had been misspelled and the writing was thin, closely-packed, slanted. Not a hand that I recognised, anyway.

"A big eagle, near the Owlery, miss," replied the first-year promptly, bending down to catch his breath. "I think it was one of those talking patronuses. It said to deliver the letter to Hermione Granger. Only he said it a bit...well, funny."

And then, in an instant, I knew exactly who had written to me.

"Thanks," I said breathlessly. I stood still for a moment, then sprinted up to the dorm, tore open the letter and read the words of Viktor Krum. 

   Dear Hermionie, 

I know it has been a long time but I needed to write to you. I hope you are well. I am still playing Quidditch and my life is good - my English is not so. I think it has been four years, but I find myself missing you more every day.
I hope you feel the same way about me. I desire to be more than friends. I am planning a trip to England on Thursday and would love for you to meet me in that village near the castle. The tavern all the students go to. I don't remember it now.
Please reply. I think I am in love with you Hermionie.

Sincerely,

   Viktor Krum

My initial reaction was, Oh god. I reread his letter. Thursday? That was tomorrow! I laid back on my bed, the letter in my hand and guilt building in my stomach. I couldn't believe this.

I had enough on my plate as it was. I felt so bad - the truth was, I hadn't really thought of Viktor in years - and I hadn't thought of him romantically since - well, three weeks after the Yule Ball, roughly. Oh, this was bad.

And what would Ron and Draco say? I'd have to turn him down. But I couldn't just not meet him. So, reluctantly, I pulled out my quill and ink and began to laboriously write out my reply. 

This was not going to end well.

Author's Note: Hi! I can't believe this book has already reached 1K, thank you so much! Vote and comment, new chapter should be coming pretty soon :)