28 : Draco

Song for the Chapter: Teacher's Pet ~ Melanie Martinez

Draco's POV

"You're looking again."

I snapped out of my trance again. Lately I'd been lapsing into silence at dinner and my gaze had wandered to Hermione at the Gryffindor table. It seemed pretty far away, all the way from the shadowy corner of the Slytherins.

"Sorry," I muttered, turning back to Blaise. I'd been in the middle of telling him what had happened today, but from the grin on his face he looked like he'd heard enough.

"Well, from what I can tell, Draco, you two are a pretty sweet couple," he smirked. I rolled my eyes. I'd had enough of people accusing Hermione and I of going out recently. "And I think you go very well together," Blaise added, raising his eyebrows.

"Whatever," I laughed. My face fell when I saw Pansy sauntering into the hall - thankfully, Theodore Nott was still clinging to her arm like a lost puppy, so that was something. She walked right past us with her nose in the air and sat herself at the end of the bench with her skirt tucked as high up as it would go, exposing as much of her hot pink underwear as possible. Blaise and I both groaned and turned away.

"Oh, your girlfriend looks upset," said Blaise suddenly. I snapped towards Hermione's direction so fast I wasn't sure if the bones in my neck were still intact. At first I'd thought he was joking. But then I saw Weasley stood beside her, and I could tell she wasn't happy. She shoved him roughly and stormed towards the door.

"Don't just sit there!" Cried Blaise impatiently, shaking my arm and pulling me out of my reverie. "Go and cheer her up! Find out what's up. You're a horrible boyfriend."

"Remind me to kill you later," I grumbled, before practically sprinting out of the hall after her. It was only when I was out of earshot of everyone inside that I called, "Hermione?" in a strangled voice.

"Leave me alone!" Her voice was muffled, and it came from around the corner of the hallway. I was pretty reluctant to follow her - after all, she would most likely hex my head off if I came close. But some annoying voice inside me that sounded a lot like Blaise told me to go after her. So, feeling like an idiot, I did.

I was reminded of the time when she'd hugged me at the start of the year when I saw her. She was curled up against the window, watching the snow fall. Tears streaked her face and her hair shielded her rosy cheeks. I sat down beside her and stared at her, my gaze softened slightly.

"I thought I told you to leave me alone," said Hermione, her voice low and dangerous as she raised her wand. I didn't move.

"Hermione, I just want to know what's wrong," I pleaded firmly. I didn't ever call her Hermione. But it only seemed natural, since she looked so fragile and tearful and ready to break into a billion pieces. Hermione, on the other hand, didn't look so pleased about it.

"And I just want you to leave. Me. Alone," spat Hermione, sniffing and wiping her eyes on her robes. Then, without warning, she flicked her wand upwards and I was sent flying backwards with surprising force. I hit the opposite wall and was just rubbing my head when a swarm of little yellow birds erupted from the tip of her wand and came flying straight for me.

"Go away," mumbled Hermione quietly.

As I swatted at the birds, I suddenly realised how upset she really was. I'd never seen it this bad before. Whatever Weasley had said, it couldn't have been good.

"Hermione, I don't care - I don't care what you throw at me," I said, shielding myself from the pinpricks of the birds. I slumped down against the wall again, feeling defeated. "I've come to find out what's wrong. And that's what I'm going to do."

Hermione flicked her wand once more, and in a puff of pink smoke the birds disappeared. In a broken, strangled voice, she whispered, "Ron told me - he told me - he wishes I was dead."

Author's Note: Ooh, cliffhanger! I'm sorry I've been away for a while, now my school has officially closed I'll have more time to get chapters up. Thank you to everybody who has added this book to their reading lists while I've been away! Vote and comment everyone, new chapter coming soon :)