Kong

We begin to head back to the river, but it's taking too long. Soon I stop James, "this is taking too long, we should have found the river by now."

"I know," James nods, he bends down to a log that has mushrooms on it, "there's water close by."

"Are you lost?" Brooks shakes his head, "which way?"

"Hang on," I put a hand on.

"Wait here," we wait and listen and hear a roar. James stands. "I've got to get to higher ground to find the river."

"Hey!" I call out to him as he walks away, "I'm coming, too."

"I'll be right here." Marlow pulls out a pistol and cocks it. "Keep your eyes open. Up in the trees, too."

James and I hike further into the forest, it takes me a little while to catch up to him, but I do, eventually. Soon we get to a cliff face. I look it up, "still wanna tag along?" James looks over to me.

I shrug my shoulders and stretch a bit, "looks like fun." I start up the cliff face, free climbing.

James chuckles, "God, I love you." When we get to the top I notice that it is already a little past sunset. But we can see the river, "the boat must be around that bend."

I look out over the ridge, "Mason would have loved to get a shot of this," I chuckle.

As I look out I see something move toward us. James and I both freeze as Kong approaches us. I take a few steps back and grab James' hand. Kong looks over us a bit confused by what exactly we are. After a moment, I slowly step forward and hold a hand out, touching Kong's noise. As I do I look up and see tears in his eyes and I feel them in mine. He takes a deep breathe and I close my eyes as his breath hits me. I take my hand back and Kong watches me as I take a few steps back, before he does the same himself. Before he gets too far, I hear an explosion. I look off to my right and see that the men had set off bombs. Kong roars and heads off in the direction of the explosions.

James grabs my hand, "we have to go." I look over to him, "now." We run in the direction of our team, as fast as our feet will carry us and as fast forest will allow, when we get back James puts his hands up, "don't shoot!"

"Conrad, which way are we going?" Brooks lowers his gun and takes a deep breath.

"You four need to go back to the boat. It's that way." James gestures in the direction of the river, "wait for us till dawn. If we're not back by then... just go."

"You ain't gotta twist my arm."

Marlow stands up, "where are you two going?"

I take a deep breath, "we're going to save Kong."

"Not without me, Princess."

The three of us run in the direction of the fire and Kong's roars as fast as we can. When we get there Kong is laying in front of a lake of flames, Packard standing in front of it and his men. James, Marlow, and I run out in front of Kong, pointing our guns at Packard and his men, "Packard!" James shouts to get his attention.

I shake my head, "don't do it."

Marlow, who has his gun on Slivko and his knife on another soldier, sighs, "I asked you fellas nice the first time."

James doesn't stand down, "we don't wanna fight here, Packard."

"This thing brought us down! It killed my men!" Packard shouts.

"Kong was just defending his territory."

"We are soldiers! We do the dirty work... so our families and our countrymen don't have to be afraid! They shouldn't even know a thing like this exists!"

"They don't have to."

I sniff a bit, "you've lost your mind."

James takes a deep breath, "put that detonator down." Packard steps towards James and turns his detonator on.

"Stop! The world is bigger than this," I take a deep breath.

Packard chuckles, "Bitch, please! Slivko, get her out of there!"

I look over to Slivko, "Slivko."

Marlow glances over to him, "you know it's the wrong thing to do, son."

Slivko takes a step forward, "Slivko, I will shoot you." I point my gun at him, "don't make me do it."

Slivko takes another step and points his gun at Packard, "put it down, sir."

Packard moves to draw on Slivko, but James' shouts stop him, "Packard!" The men begin to drop their weapons, all but James, Slivko and I, who are all aimed at Packard, "come on. It's over."

Just then we hear splashing in the lake and look over seeing large waves move as something comes out of the lake. Marlow shakes his head, "that's the big one."

"Fall back," everyone but Packard follows James' order and falls back, "go!" I stop when I realize James isn't next to me, I turn back and see him with Packard, "Colonel. Sir!"

"James!" I call out to him.

James turns and falls back with the rest of us, I don't move too far back before turning to see Kong fight the large crawler. The creature overpowers Kong, but before I can do anything James picks me up and turns me around, "Kong's down. Let's go!"