Ploat

When we wake up the next morning, we quickly get ready to go, but no one can find Marlow. "He said something about having to say goodbye last night." Nieves shrugs, "I don't know what he meant by that."

I sigh, "I do." I shake my head, "I know where he is." We head down to the haul of the ship, where Marlow had shown and told us the story of Kong. Marlow, is right where I thought he'd be, saying goodbye to Gunpei. I clear my throat a bit, letting Marlow know we are there.

"This man's name was Gunpei Ikari." Marlow takes deep breath, "you take away the uniforms... and the war... he became my brother. And we swore we'd never leave each other behind." Marlow stands, wiping a tear from his cheek, "let's get off this island." Marlow takes Gunpei katana out of his grave and puts it in it's casing.

We head down to the boat, making a few final fixes to anything that needs it. Nieves, who is in such a hurry to leave, starts the engine, while Slivko is working on it. Slivko pops his head out of the engine area, "not yet!"

"What's wrong with you?" I scoff, "are you trying to get someone else killed?"

"I'm sorry," Nieves shakes his head, "I just have to get home."

"We all have to, but it isn't going to happen until that boat gets here in 24 hours."

James comes up behind me, "we're almost done." He turns back to the others, "prime the lines."

I sigh and look back to Nieves, "look, just don't touch anything, okay?"

"Wind it up," James points over to the crank on the engine. I nod and start cracking it, although I think I'd have better luck paddling in mud. We try to start the engine twice, but it doesn't work.

Slivko sighs, "third time's the charm. Here we go. Here we go!"

We try again, as Brooks and the other's watch, "let's go, let's go, let's go."

I whisper through gritted teeth, "Come on, come on, come on." to our surprise the engine roars to life. "Yes!" I put my hands up, triumphantly, and laugh. James and I walk over to each other and hug, James kissing my head.

As we celebrate, we look up and see that Iwis standing along the shore and on the dock. Marlow walks over to the two in blue and sighs, "I guess this is goodbye. Thank you. If you're ever in Chicago,look me up, I guess."

As we push off Mason takes a few photos and the bridge opens to allow up under. What these people have done is amazing. As we cruise along the river I stay up with Marlow, talking to him about his life before the war. "Do you have anyone special back home?"

"I got a wife." Marlow smiles, "had a wife. Have a wife? Guess I don't know anymore. We got hitched right before I deployed. Got a telegram from her the day before I got shot down. She said we just had our baby boy. I got a son out there. Grown man I've never met."

I chuckle and smile, "congrats."

"Yeah, she definitely thinks you're dead, man," Slivko comments from on top of the place part of the boat.

"Hey!" James walks under him and hits the metal with the back of his hand.

"I'm just saying."

"You don't know that," James looks up to Slivko.

"You'd be surprised how long people wait," I smile.

"And what they do for love," James smiles down to me.

"Truth is, I don't expect them to be waiting. I'd be fine either way. I just want one last chance to see them. That'd be good enough for me. But you two. You two are lucky." Marlow gestures between James and I, "getting stranded somewhere, with someone you love," he shakes his head, "man, to have your luck."