Debriefing

It takes some time but I finally convince James that we should take the job. So the next afternoon we get ready to head out. James had taken a shower that morning and when he came out I noticed that he had shaved. I smile up to him as I place a hand on his cheek, "hello stranger, it's been awhile since I've seen you like this?"

"I thought you liked the scruff."

"I do, but also like it when you've shaved." We pack up and head out for Bangkok, Thailand, where the two men told us to meet them. It takes us less than an hour by plane, what takes us longer to find is Pier 14. I keep thinking if this was a scam, I'm going to find those two scientists and ring their necks.

Eventually, we find the Pier and walk up to a scrawny looking man in a blue bowling jacket. "James Conrad and Amelia Davis." James sighs as he walks up to the man.

The man nods, "yes, our tracker and our translator." The man writes something of his clipboard. "Welcome aboard."

Once we get a few feet away I look up to James, "That sounded more like the welcoming for a cruise, not a field mission."

"Yeah, well." James shrugs, "Like they told us before they are scholars and scientists, that's why we're here."

I chuckle, "Please, if we're comparing the two, I'm more of a scholar then a soldier."

"Yes, but you are very attractive and very capable. Plus you have some experience in these environments."

"That's true I suppose."

As we start to board the ship we are stopped by a man in a military uniform, with the name Packard on his patch. "Can I help the two of you?" I nod, taking out the paperwork for James and I, stating where we had served in the war. "3 years in country for Mr. Conrad and only a year and a half for Ms. Davis." Packard looks over to me, "Tell me, why such a short time?"

"It would have been longer had we not abandoned the war. But I came in late due to a lack of support back home. Both of me and the war."

Packard nods, "Yeah, I know. We have one of the photographs who played into that on board. Well, welcome aboard." Packard hands me the paperwork before James and I head up onto the ship.

Once we are on the ship we are shown to our rooms, being right across the hall from one another, and both of us having bunk mates. As I look around, I think my bunk mates are the photographer and a scientist, but at least it's nice to know there are other women aboard the ship. I step out into the hall once I set my stuff down on the bed and poke my head into James' room, "Now why can't they just bunk us together?"

"Military regulations, I suppose. Men and women don't bunk together, we're lucky we're on the same floor."

I nod, "I know, but still."

James chuckles, "I know darling, but remember if we come back we can go anywhere you want, together." I smile softly as James walks over and kisses me, before stepping out of his room, "Come on, we should get to the debriefing."

I walk a step behind James, since his gate is wider than mine, "you know, every time someone says that, I'm taken back to all the high school pantings I was forced to witness." James just laughs. 

Before long we end up in the debriefing room, where they have a projector set up and There are about 50-60 men sitting or standing around the room, most of them are in military uniforms, but about 15 of them are in the blue bowling jacket that the man who checked us in was wearing, I can only assume that's the uniform for our scientists on board. James and I walk up about half way into the room and find a pillar, between the scientists and the soldiers, and lean on the pillar. I am in front of James, leaning against the pillar with my back, while James is leaning on his shoulder. I really hope that's not going to bother his shoulder later, his muscles always get sore on his right side since the war ended. Once we get into the room we look up to the gentlemen standing at the front, he is clearly one of the scientists or scholars, with his mustache and tweed suit.

I glance back to James and whisper, "what is with these smart types and tweed?"

"I noticed that too, I don't know." James shrugs as he whispers back.

The man takes a deep breath before starting, "Hello and welcome. I am the Lansat field supervisor, Victor Nieves. This is my colleague, Steve Woodward, Our data wrangler." Victor gestures to a man in the front row, when he looks around I can see that Steve is the man who checked us in. "Our expedition takes us to a place... Every nautical trade route known to man has avoided for centuries. As our satellite shows..." Victor begins to click through a slideshow, "the island is surrounded by a perpetual storm system. Allowing it to remain hidden from the outside world. But with Colonel Packard's helicopter transport. We will be the first to break through the other side. We are also pleased to be joined for the first time by the resource exploration team led by Mr. Randa," Mr. Randa being the older man who had come to recruit James and I. "And accompanied by biologist, Miss. San, and Geologist, Mr. Brooks." Brooks is the younger man who had come with Randa, and I'm guessing that San is one of the women I will be bunking with. "Our focus will be on the Island's surface. There is, what lies beneath. Mr. Brooks." Victor gestures over.

Brooks walks over to Victor, "it's simple really. We are using explosives to shake the earth, and create vibrations... to help us to map the subsurface of the island. We'll fly over the south shore and then strategically drop seismic chargers that will help us understand the density of the earth."

I shake my head, "You are dropping bombs?"

"Scientific instruments." Brooks nods.

One of the young soldiers laughs, "Do you hear that, boys? We're scientists, now."

Steve shakes his head, "You guys are not scientists." I shake my head, as if there was a reason for that comment, other than to start a fight.

But Victor continues, "We'll then land, and make base camp for ground excursions led by Mr. Conrad. Major Jack Chapman."

A young soldier steps up in front of everyone. He actually reminds me a bit of James in his mannerisms and the way he speaks to the group, other than his rather southern accent.  "All right. Once on the island the storm interference will block all radio contact with the ship. That means, we will be by ourselves. Three days later, refuel team will meet us here on north of the Island. That might be our only safe departure for an unknown period of time. So, tip for everybody, don't miss it. Please."